    get it?

    Any help & advice gratefully received

    KeithS

    KeithS, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Usually support for modems is a kernel module, and that's where you should
    be looking.

    However ... USB ADSL modems suck rutabagas, poorly. Your real solution is to
    dump that thing and get one which talks Ethernet.

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 19, 2004

  3. KeithS

    KeithS Guest

    Really am beginning to think so too, only had the thing for 3 months
    too!

    KeithS

    KeithS, Jan 19, 2004
  4. KeithS

    KeithS Guest

    Agreed, but see my reply to Gary, above

    Knowing the distribution might
    Suse, not that the installation from Speedbundle is distro-specific.

    KeithS, Jan 19, 2004
  5. KeithS

    KeithS Guest

    See http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/download/index.html
    for a more detailed description

    I have a
    Hey, c'mon, you're talking to a Linux newbie here! :) I think the
    pitch it suggestion is my best bet

    KeithS

    KeithS, Jan 19, 2004
  6. KeithS

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    Why are you trying to set it up as a usb device? If your motherboard
    supports LAN use that or get a NIC. Knowing the distribution might also
    help a little bit. Here's a hint: Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse, Gentoo and
    Debian will support it 'out of the box' that way.

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 20, 2004
  7. KeithS

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    Curious. That's a kernel module you're trying to download. I have a
    Thompson Speedtouch 330 hooked up through ethernet and its worked fine
    with every distro I've installed on the spare box. It might be time to
    pitch it and check the HCL. Incidently, Mandrake 9.1 & 9.2 support the
    Alcatel Speedtouch 330 usb modem, you could try dual booting.

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 20, 2004
  8. KeithS

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    Instead of a kernel patch, have you thought about downloading kernel
    2.6.1? Thought of that after I posted.

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 20, 2004
  9. KeithS

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    Oops, my mistake.
    Aw, c'mon it shouldn't be too hard. Install the new distro after /home in
    a seperate partition(s) and install the lilo bootloader for that in its /.
    Then edit your current lilo.conf file something like this to include the
    new OS.

    map=/boot/map
    vga=normal
    default="linux-smp"
    keytable=/boot/us.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="linux"
    root=/dev/hda2
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht splash=silent"
    vga=791
    read-only
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-smp
    label="linux-smp"
    root=/dev/hda2
    initrd=/boot/initrd-smp.img
    append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht splash=silent"
    vga=791
    read-only
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="failsafe"
    root=/dev/hda2
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht"
    read-only
    #image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="other sparkly new OS"
    root=/dev/hda7
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht splash=silent"
    vga=791
    read-only

    Cheers, and good luck with the modem.

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 20, 2004