Linux Not Bullet Proof

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    docmill Guest

    As a home user, I wonder what kind of aggrevation it will cause.
    on qoute
    "We have no reason to believe that anyone has produced an exploit program,"
    he said. "Moreover, this is not something where we have seen an attack in
    the wild."

    docmill, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    KnowBody Guest

    No real world OS is perfect.

    They tell Windows users to update frequently/often.
    Same is true for Linux users. (keep it updated)

    KnowBody, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Parko Guest

    Huh? I Auto update with mutray, then once a week:
    [[email protected] gary]# chkrootkit
    ROOTDIR is `/'
    Checking `amd'... not found
    Checking `basename'... not infected
    Checking `biff'... not found
    Checking `chfn'... not infected
    Checking `chsh'... not infected
    Checking `cron'... not infected
    Checking `date'... not infected
    Checking `du'... not infected
    Checking `dirname'... not infected
    Checking `echo'... not infected
    Checking `egrep'... not infected
    Checking `env'... not infected
    Checking `find'... not infected
    Checking `fingerd'... not found
    Checking `gpm'... not found
    Checking `grep'... not infected
    Checking `hdparm'... not infected
    Checking `su'... not infected
    Checking `ifconfig'... not infected
    Checking `inetd'... not tested
    Checking `inetdconf'... not found
    Checking `identd'... not found
    Checking `init'... not infected
    Checking `killall'... not infected
    Checking `ldsopreload'... not infected
    Checking `login'... not infected
    Checking `ls'... not infected
    Checking `lsof'... not found
    Checking `mail'... not infected
    Checking `mingetty'... not infected
    Checking `netstat'... not infected
    Checking `named'... not found
    Checking `passwd'... not infected
    Checking `pidof'... not infected
    Checking `pop2'... not found
    Checking `pop3'... not found
    Checking `ps'... not infected
    Checking `pstree'... not infected
    Checking `rpcinfo'... not infected
    Checking `rlogind'... not found
    Checking `rshd'... not found
    Checking `slogin'... not found
    Checking `sendmail'... not infected
    Checking `sshd'... not infected
    Checking `syslogd'... not infected
    Checking `tar'... not infected
    Checking `tcpd'... not infected
    Checking `tcpdump'... not infected
    Checking `top'... not infected
    Checking `telnetd'... not found
    Checking `timed'... not found
    Checking `traceroute'... not found
    Checking `vdir'... not infected
    Checking `w'... not infected
    Checking `write'... not infected
    Checking `aliens'... no suspect files
    Searching for sniffer's logs, it may take a while... nothing found
    Searching for HiDrootkit's default dir... nothing found
    Searching for t0rn's default files and dirs... nothing found
    Searching for t0rn's v8 defaults... nothing found
    Searching for Lion Worm default files and dirs... nothing found
    Searching for RSHA's default files and dir... nothing found
    Searching for RH-Sharpe's default files... nothing found
    Searching for Ambient's rootkit (ark) default files and dirs... nothing found
    Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a while... nothing found
    Searching for LPD Worm files and dirs... nothing found
    Searching for Ramen Worm files and dirs... nothing found
    Searching for Maniac files and dirs... nothing found
    Searching for RK17 files and dirs... nothing found
    Searching for Ducoci rootkit... nothing found
    Searching for Adore Worm... nothing found
    Searching for ShitC Worm... nothing found
    Searching for Omega Worm... nothing found
    Searching for Sadmind/IIS Worm... nothing found
    Searching for MonKit... nothing found
    Searching for Showtee... nothing found
    Searching for OpticKit... nothing found
    Searching for T.R.K... nothing found
    Searching for Mithra... nothing found
    Searching for OBSD rk v1... nothing found
    Searching for LOC rootkit ... nothing found
    Searching for Romanian rootkit ... nothing found
    Searching for HKRK rootkit ... nothing found
    Searching for Suckit rootkit ... nothing found
    Searching for Volc rootkit ... nothing found
    Searching for Gold2 rootkit ... nothing found
    Searching for TC2 Worm default files and dirs... nothing found
    Searching for Anonoying rootkit default files and dirs... nothing found
    Searching for ZK rootkit default files and dirs... nothing found
    Searching for ShKit rootkit default files and dirs... nothing found
    Searching for anomalies in shell history files... nothing found
    Checking `asp'... not infected
    Checking `bindshell'... not infected
    Checking `lkm'... Checking `rexedcs'... not found
    Checking `sniffer'... Checking `w55808'... not infected
    Checking `wted'... nothing deleted
    Checking `scalper'... not infected
    Checking `slapper'... not infected
    Checking `z2'... nothing deleted
    [[email protected] gary]#

    Parko, Sep 3, 2004
  5. <snip>

    It's if you're running kerebos, which I'm not on any of my machines.
    I did get a notification from SuSE about it the other day, to say there
    was an updated patch for it. Patched the same day it was discovered, eh?
    That's what I like about open-source. :))

    Perce P. Cassidy, Sep 3, 2004