Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bones4jones, Oct 6, 2007.

  1. bones4jones

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    William Poaster added these comments in the current discussion
    du jour ...
    "Targets" are nothing more than an above average reason for
    something specific to happen. In this context, a "target" O/S is
    as simple as one that the bad guys like to exploit vs another
    they don't seem to be interested in. I offered my opinion, and it
    is just that - MY opinion, YMMV. And, I qualified it by saying
    that I have been following Linux but have virtually zero
    knowledge, and my Mac knowledge is equally dismal. Will Rogers
    once said something to the effect that "everything I know came
    from news papers" or some such thing meaning that he really
    couldn't verify his knowledge. That was 70 years ago, long before
    the so-called "information explosion", the age of digital, 24x7
    live news reporting, AND malware on something that didn't even
    exist until around 1981 - PCs.

    Certainly you are right about MS being easier to exploit, I said
    their security was like swiss cheese. And, I imagine Ballmer is
    right, if/when his installed base wakes up one morning to hear
    about a version of Linux they are willing to finally embrace is
    the beginning of the end for Ballmer's company. I don't think
    that day has arrived yet for me, but clearly it has for you. So,
    I am happy for you and I hope you will allow me the freedom and
    right to make a personal choice for myself that right now isn't
    Linux.

    Thank you, and have a great day!

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 10, 2007

  2. NP, top posting is acceptable in this group. :)
    Well I don't know how *he* was going about installing a printer, but what
    could be more simple than the steps I outlined below.

    If using the GNOME desktop, the steps are:
    System > (Select) Add Printer > Local or Detected Printer > Printer port #1
    From the menu select: HP, & Model: BusinessInkjet 2280 > Driver: hpijs
    (recommended). Then click on "Install driver". It will either download it,
    or install from the cd.
    And you! :)

    William Poaster, Oct 10, 2007