    Commodore 64 for the 21 century?

    It's probably the way things will go especially with ever larger
    memory modules becoming available. Definitely for mobile computers.

    Alfred, Oct 7, 2007

  2. bones4jones

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    [snip]
    I don't think that "virtually nobody is using it" is accurate. I
    don't know the numbers, but I think that overall Linux "market
    share" is rising, probably fueled by PC OEMs offering it as an
    alternative to Windows or in a 2nd boot partition as an option. I
    might agree to accusing users who think Linux is fine are
    zealots, but I think that is way too strong, and may be viewed as
    an insult plus it most certainly will cause you to lose
    credibility here. That is partially why I put quotes around
    "bigot" in describing my nephew. When discussion the many things
    that do not work for you and people that have the same version
    that you do, or some other, claim they DO work, I believe it. I
    do NOT dis-believe you, I'm just saying that it may be pointless
    to argue with someone where you say "X doesn't" work and the
    other person says that it does. It is entirely possible in
    today's quirky PC environment with complex mixes of mobo, video,
    HD, specific apps and utilities, HW, and all that stuff running
    from current version to old, so-called legacy apps.

    Back to my nephew for a minute. I don't think he is suffering ANY
    for-real failures, and he has a LOT of stuff on his PC, so he
    might be on the "zealot" end of the scale. His observation was,
    though, that, yes, you do need to do some of your own software.
    Now, the "zealots" and "bigots" will come after me, but for all
    the good people reading my comments, please understand that I am
    insulting no one nor refuting their testimony. It also explains
    why /I/ and still way to confused to jump ship on XP.

    Now, Vista is another story. I would not even consider going to
    Vista until at least SP1, perhaps SP2. I prefer to let the early
    adopters beta test with their Visa cards, I won't. Call me a
    "head in the sand " Luddite if you like, but I want to do the
    same watchful waiting on Vista. In my personal case, I will
    likely NOT do an upgrade on current PC. I would most likely dump
    my wife's older, slower machine (yes, I love her, she just
    doesn't do anything that needs a fast machine so she a happy
    camper), give her my XP Pro SP2 box, and get a new PC built with
    native Vista on it, preferably as a retail version, not OEM. I'm
    not big on upgrading an existing machine because any excess
    baggage in the Registry, drivers, etc. will be partially
    compromized, and perhaps corrupted to the point they no longer
    work.

    Which brings me to your complaints. Did you buy you PC with Vista
    on it, then install Linux, or did you upgrade from XP to Linux? I
    have found since Win 95 that it is MUCH better to do a clean
    install than an upgrade.

    Opinions on my slant to this would be appreciated.

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 7, 2007

  3. bones4jones

    DanS Guest

    wrote in 22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:
    How can the be missing out on profits....take Dell for example.....

    Yes, you can get Ubuntu pre-installed, but the system actually cost like
    $20 or $30 more than if it had Vista.

    AND, Dell, while they will sell you the pre-installed Unubtu system, they
    say outright they offer no support for it.

    Sounds like a great deal for Dell if you ask me.....they don't pay for an
    OEM version of Windows (save $$), will not provide support (save more
    $$), and then charge more for the system (make more $$).

    DanS, Oct 7, 2007
  4. Its not new stuff though.
    Quite a few machines have shipped with embedded software to use features
    without starting windows.
    They don't appear to be reasons why people buy a machine and I don't expect
    many will flock to the ASUS one either.

    Its a bit silly really.. its a high performance motherboard that is intended
    for games so the buyer is going to want to run windows.. the buyer is more
    likely to just use the windows installed.

    [email protected], Oct 7, 2007
  5. And how many versions ago was that?

    Tattoo Vampire, Oct 7, 2007
  6. bones4jones

    Bob Downonit Guest

    What a tool!

    Bob Downonit, Oct 7, 2007
  7. bones4jones

    Stephan Rose Guest

    You just don't get it and probably never will, right?

    Of course nobody is going to use this as their operating system so your
    entire point you were trying to make just went down the drain.

    The point of this whole thing is that this is possible to do with Linux
    whereas it'd be impossible to do with something like Vista. When it comes
    to embedded products, Windows just falls flat on it's face.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    å›ã®ã“ã¨æ€ã„出ã™æ—¥ãªã‚“ã¦ãªã„ã®ã¯
    å›ã®ã“ã¨å¿˜ã‚ŒãŸã¨ããŒãªã„ã‹ã‚‰

    Stephan Rose, Oct 7, 2007
  8. bones4jones

    sittingduck Guest

    Don't forget religion.

    sittingduck, Oct 7, 2007
  9. You, as usual get the wrong end of the stick.
    Who said it didn't fall flat on its face?
    There are a few embedded windows products about BTW so it is not impossible.
    What falls flat on its face is the idea of putting a mini preboot OS in a
    PC.
    Its been done before and it didn't work, I see no reason for this to change
    ATM.
    Now if they put a similar bit of software in a really cheap small MB and got
    someone to manufacture a suitable matching touch screen things might be
    different.

    [email protected], Oct 7, 2007
  10. That's different.
    People join a religion because it makes them superior to everyone that isn't
    a member.
    Oh.. maybe you are right.

    [email protected], Oct 7, 2007
  11. Your problem is you have a stick up your ass or is that your own head?

    Adam Albright, Oct 7, 2007
  12. Your problem is you are irrational.
    You will always do the wrong thing and look stupid so learn to live with it.
    You may as well forget about giving out your advice too as everyone thinks
    you are crazy and ignores you except for the odd moment they are bored and
    want to play.

    [email protected], Oct 7, 2007
  13. bones4jones

    chrisv Guest

    *plonk*

    chrisv, Oct 7, 2007
  14. bones4jones

    chrisv Guest

    Gosh, you don't suppose it's a troll who has repeated the same idiocy
    countless times, and had it explained to him countless times?

    chrisv, Oct 7, 2007
  15. bones4jones

    Stephan Rose Guest

    Seeing how my end of the stick doesn't have much of windows on it, I like
    it very much.
    Yea I know about WinCE. It's about the last environment I'd want to use
    for any embedded product. Oh and, embedded software is among the software
    I write for a living. Microsoft's embedded compiler is beyond outdated
    dating back to Visual Studio 6 days. MS' newer environments are only able
    to use the .Net Compact Framework for CE Development which is about as
    inappropriate for embedded development as it can only get.

    When I write embedded software I want and need low level access to my
    hardware and every bit of speed I can find. Not a high-level abstracted
    object oriented language with a garbage collector and runtime checking
    and no direct hardware access that MS wants me to use.

    Dunno what went over Microsoft's head there....
    Well it obviously isn't intended to be actually used as a daily use OS
    for the computer. But I can quite well see the uses for diagnostics,
    trouble shooting, or plain simple testing when I go to build a new
    system. It also would make a far more excellent environment to do things
    like reflash the bios from.
    Check out Ubuntu Mobile. It is intended for precisely *that* using Intel
    hardware and just blows Windows CE out of the water.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    å›ã®ã“ã¨æ€ã„出ã™æ—¥ãªã‚“ã¦ãªã„ã®ã¯
    å›ã®ã“ã¨å¿˜ã‚ŒãŸã¨ããŒãªã„ã‹ã‚‰

    Stephan Rose, Oct 7, 2007
  16. bones4jones

    Rick Guest

    mmmmm... could be ...

    Rick, Oct 7, 2007
  17. I used to do that before I did bigger and, maybe, better things.
    I have written in ASM86, PLM86, C, java amongst others.
    I quite liked RMX86 as a kernel myself.. did some X25 firmware in that.
    When you work on realtime control systems like telephone exchanges you have
    different requirements to windows and Linux.
    Linux sure doesn't give realtime responses in the varieties most people talk
    about here so just because someone calls it linux doesn't mean it is linux.
    Write a driver then.. that's what I did when I needed real-time response in
    Unix.
    Its not a problem if you need to do it.
    It might be a bit risky if its in the same rom as the bios.
    No need really, its fairly easy to write a run to completion real time
    scheduler.

    [email protected], Oct 7, 2007
  18. Play with this:

    http://usversusthem.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/bush-finger.jpg

    While I never would try to speak for others, I think the sentiment
    Bush is conveying in the above image is typical of what most think of
    blowhards like you.

    Adam Albright, Oct 7, 2007
  19. How come everything you say could be about you.. no probably is about you?
    Do you have some sort of mental problem that requires you to keep saying
    things that are true of you but that you need to attach to others? Maybe to
    convince yourself that you are normal?
    I bet you could tell us the name if you read your notes again.

    [email protected], Oct 7, 2007
  20. bones4jones

    Rich Guest

    The Market isn't political.

    If people wanted Linux they'd be offered it in a heartbeat.

    It is not offered because there is NO INTEREST.

    Dell is trying again. It will end like the last time.
    Someone muttering at a Monday morning sales meeting, "what the hell did we
    do that for" ?

    and ... look!

    there is that 'we ALL KNOW' phrase again. heh
    Funny how that always pops up in the place of proofs.

    I use what I choose.
    Catchy isn't it?

    .... and one more thing, about those predatory posting practices?

    Rich

    Rich, Oct 7, 2007