  1. bones4jones

    John King Guest

    Can you prove that SPAMMER?

    John King, Oct 7, 2007

  2. bones4jones

    dragunovguy Guest

    Stephan
    Will Autodesk Architecture and Revit Architecture work on Linux or
    Ubuntu? Those are the two programs I make my living with and Autodesk
    does not support Linux.
    Do any of the popular FPS games like Ghost Recon, Halo, Splinter Cell,
    or any of the top flight simulator games work on Linux or Ubuntu? When
    I am not working those are the programs I like to play with.
    I am asking because I genuinely want to know why I should ever
    consider Linux. Most of the software offerings for Linux are pretty
    lame. I know because I have friends that run Linux/Ubuntu and while
    there are people trying to develop CAD programs and games that run on
    a Linux box, none of those that I have seen would do me any good.
    Quite honestly, I have a Vista Business running on a high end IBM
    Intellistation that I can run the 2008 versions of the Autodesk
    products I mentioned and they run very well. I cannot play any of my
    favorite FPS or flight simulators on it, but I still have a dual Xeon,
    4GB RAM machine running Win XP Pro that works great for those.
    Should I switch to Linux just to get back at Microsoft and Gates? I
    guess if you can be productive with Linux and get to use the programs
    you want to with it maybe it is worth it. I cannot afford to because
    my support from Autodesk and my reseller would be gone if I run those
    products on Linux. I also do IT work for an architectural firm. They
    keep saying they want to try a new MAC. That will be fine if they buy
    one that is running Intel processors and Windows, because they use
    Autodesk Architecture and Revit also. Those products do not run on a
    Mac. Lots of people rag on Autodesk the same way a lot of the people
    in this group rag on Microsoft. But when your living depends on
    software you will run the OS and the software that makes you money.
    I don't like the security problems with Windows and quite a few of the
    other issues, but until the MAC/Linux/Ubuntu developers come up
    software I can use I won't be switching.

    Daryl
    (In my lifetime)
    four motorcycles, two race cars, one airplane

    dragunovguy, Oct 7, 2007

  3. Except that his "experience" is obvious that he has never really
    tried Ubuntu nor any of the available applications. Cross
    posting, comment spamming troll is back:

    http://www.projecthoneypot.org/i_0aeed376c44f48c5588fb4b1b020f886

    High Plains Thumper, Oct 7, 2007
  4. bones4jones

    ray Guest

    Then why would you be worried sick about it???

    ray, Oct 7, 2007
  5. bones4jones

    caver1 Guest

    I agree. My son depends on Autodesk.
    Autodesk is worse than MS when it wants money.
    But that is not Linux's fault that they won't port to Linux.
    They could port to Linux and still charge.
    caver1

    caver1, Oct 7, 2007
  6. Nope. His MID header wouldn't include anybody else's information,
    only information about that post. (That's why it's called the
    Message-ID header, and filtering on a MID is not filtering on the
    body, where attributions would be.)
    He would. :)

    Filtering on References is very much possible and frequently done,
    by users of decent news clients, including Xnews. It's used for
    filtering a thread or subthread. While I don't recommend this, an
    example would be filtering on key string google in References,
    which would kill anything in a [sub]thread that is beneath a
    Groper's post.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 7, 2007
  7. "people use what they are given."
    Yes, but they also use what they choose to purchase.

    There have always been options and the sorry excuse "predatory
    marketing" has been overused to explain what it can't because it is
    false.

    "the consumer had NO CHOICE"
    And perhaps it is this FALSE belief that has contributed to the
    stagnant growth of Linux.
    A few years ago Dell offered Linux but it quietly faded away
    presumably because of little or no interest.
    There have always been choices and probably always will be.

    Instead of making excuses and bashing Microsoft, Linux would be better
    served by the users promoting their benefits instead of the
    competitions liabilities.
    When the competitions liabilities are the focus it seems clear that
    there is little if no benefit of the other.

    Politics is one of the few areas where bashing the competition is
    rampant.
    Otherwise most advertising is focused on the positives of the product.
    Of course politicians in general are well loved because of their
    bashing!

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Oct 7, 2007
  8. bones4jones

    bob Guest

    Do you live under a bridge?

    bob, Oct 7, 2007
  9. bones4jones

    bob Guest

    When you post in such a way that you look like a total jackass, why
    would you expect anyone to waste their time trying to educate you?

    bob, Oct 7, 2007
  10. bones4jones

    Rick Guest

    Why are you that stupid.. or dishonest?

    Rick, Oct 7, 2007
  11. bones4jones

    Rick Guest

    You really do need to go take troll lessons.

    Rick, Oct 7, 2007
  12. bones4jones

    *alan* Guest

    [..]
    (and in another) > "Why are you that stupid.. or dishonest?"

    You seem to specialize in pre high school one line put-downs.
    But, do you actually have any cogent arguments FOR Linux?
    Just wondering . . .

    *alan*, Oct 7, 2007
  13. bones4jones

    Rick Guest

    .... the above jerk deserves them...
    It is Open Source...
    It is Free, and in many instances free.
    It is not tied to one vendor, such as Apple or Microsoft.
    I use WP, SS, DB... browse the web, edit graphics, audio, video (well,
    simple editing), convert those media formats between many formats, send
    email, run web, email and ftp servers, IRC, IM, syc my Palm TX, edit web
    pages ...

    .... I easily have multiple desktops so I can group projects ... and Linux
    based distros have been my main desktop OSes for about 10 years..

    .... good enough?

    Rick, Oct 7, 2007
  14. Predatory marketing has already been substantiated by court
    cases, documents available on the Internet.

    Reference USDOJ Memorandum Opinion, Page 197:

    http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/msdoj/2002/Lit11-1.pdf

    Lack of consumer choice is being proliferated by a multitude of
    corporate actions by Microsoft:

    http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/WINXP_anticompetitive_study.pdf

    Fair and open competition in the market place will be best
    encouraged at the government level, as demonstrated by this most
    recent action by the European Union:

    http://www.siia.net/press/releases/govt_09_17_2007.pdf

    This regarded opening the CFS/SMB network protocols that
    Microsoft has made increasingly difficult for competitors to
    utilize, which Microsoft failed to appropriately document. It
    also regards the unbundling of Windows Media Player. Next, IMHO
    will be the complete unbundling of Windows Operating systems with
    hardware vendors.

    High Plains Thumper, Oct 7, 2007
  15. bones4jones

    elaich Guest

    I just have "Kill articles crossposted to more then (1) group" in setup.

    elaich, Oct 7, 2007
  16. bones4jones

    llanalott Guest

    Well I think people just don't know what Linux is. They stay on the
    safe path. Change is difficult.
    However Linux is generally free so I assume the Computer companies
    think that they will miss
    out on some profits. I mean I assume they do make money off Windows as
    the default OS
    on their computers they sell.

    llanalott, Oct 7, 2007
  17. bones4jones

    Stephan Rose Guest

    Then...don't switch? It's that easy. You really think I personally care
    what operating system you use? I honestly could not care less.

    Couple of suggestions for you though:

    First, learn to use paragraphs. It makes what you write much more
    coherent and a lot easier to read.

    Secondly, use the software and OS that meets your needs. Easy isn't it?

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    å›ã®ã“ã¨æ€ã„出ã™æ—¥ãªã‚“ã¦ãªã„ã®ã¯
    å›ã®ã“ã¨å¿˜ã‚ŒãŸã¨ããŒãªã„ã‹ã‚‰

    Stephan Rose, Oct 7, 2007
  18. bones4jones

    Charlie Tame Guest

    Hmmm... wonder how long it will be before WPA strikes :)

    Actually this may be a sign of things to come...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=869&num=1

    Charlie Tame, Oct 7, 2007
  19. bones4jones

    Stephan Rose Guest

    Now *THAT* is just too cool. =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    å›ã®ã“ã¨æ€ã„出ã™æ—¥ãªã‚“ã¦ãªã„ã®ã¯
    å›ã®ã“ã¨å¿˜ã‚ŒãŸã¨ããŒãªã„ã‹ã‚‰

    Stephan Rose, Oct 7, 2007
  20. bones4jones

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    I've been quietly watching the Linux debate for years. My nephew
    and PC builder really likes it but he views it as a hobby and
    will sit up all night doing a full system rebuild. From time-to-
    time, he tries to interest me in leaving the Dark Side and
    joining the Force. So, I ask him the same question: is Linux
    REALLY ready for prime time on the desktop? What I mean is, will
    ALL my software run, my HD such as printer and scanner work, etc.
    at all, or must I roll up my sleeves and become a techie again.
    After lobbying me about open source, he eventually says,
    sheepishly, "no, it's isn't ready quite yet, too many HW driver
    issues, some things can only be done command line, GUI still
    quirky, etc." I don't know what version he's using now, at one
    time it was Red Hat.

    I am going to just continue to do what doctors call "watchful
    waiting" when they detect a condition that may be a problem but
    not right this minute - in reverse. What I mean is, I read
    threads like this one to see the varying views of people other
    than my Linux "bigot" nephew, in using any version of Linux, how
    they handle tech support, updates, and things like you discuss
    below.

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 7, 2007