Linux FDISK

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dave Watson, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Dave Watson

    Dave Watson Guest

    Hi,

    What I am attempting to do is delete a Linux partition that is within a
    extended dos partition on one of my home PC's. I know MS FDISK can only
    read Linux partitions so is unable to remove and write the changes and
    Partition Magic Pro 6.0 is also throwing up errors even after attempting to
    format and delete and format etc.

    In short, I want to free up more space by merging all of the logical
    partitions within the extended dos partition but I have run in to a problem
    because one of the partitions is a Linux partition that used to have RH 7.2
    installed as a desktop OS.

    After googling it would seem that I need a copy of Linux fdisk. I've looked
    on my Red Hat 7.2. 9.0 and Mandrake CDs' and can't find a copy anywhere.

    Can anyone point me to or let me know how I can get hold of a copy of Linux
    FDISK.

    TIA,

    Dave.

    Dave Watson, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Dave Watson

    MrToad Guest

    GNU parted will do what you want:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/

    MrToad

    MrToad, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Dave Watson

    Jj Guest

    If you have no luck with gnuparted (looks like it runs in linux), then
    try booting the mandrake cd. Go thorugh as if you are installing linux.
    When you get to the partitioning bit of setup, delete the linux
    partitions already on the disk and apply the changes, then just reboot.

    Jj, Aug 25, 2003
  4. Dave Watson

    why? Guest

    Never tried the MSDOS FDISK, would not have expected it to read. Anyway

    www.google.com for Linux Boot Disk

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Q_10431318.html
    the URL mentioned is changed - http://www.toms.net/rb/

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/
    A. Resources and pointers
    A.1. Pre-made Bootdisks

    You would need to copy fdisk to a boot disk, after starting up Linux.
    If you (d/l the RPM http://rpmfind.net/ ) or copy off your RH CD or a
    FTP distro site and to a Win PC then http://www.laysi.com/rpmbw/ to
    extract from the RPM.

    <snip>
    Me

    why?, Aug 25, 2003
  5. Dave Watson

    Dave Watson Guest

    Hi,

    I've cracked it and deleted the LinuxExt2 partition and created and
    formatted the space within the extended partition and reformatted it as
    FAT32.

    Here's what I did;

    1, Went in to BIOS and booted from CD
    2, Booted up with the RH CD in the CD tray
    3, Went thought the install process up until choosing to install using
    either disk druid or fdisk
    4, Deleted the Linux partition but could not fathom out how to write the
    changes with disk druid
    5, Rebooted and chose the fdisk option after failing with disk druid several
    times
    6, Printed the partition information
    7, Deleted the partition
    8, Wrote the changes
    9, Rebooted and placed in the Win98se disk
    10, Started with CD ROM support
    11, Ran fdisk
    12, Created the logical dos drive and activated the partition
    13, Booted the system in to XP Pro as normal and formatted the drive as
    FAT32
    14, Job done.

    I now have an additional 6.79 GIG to play with (grin)

    Thanks for your help.

    Dave.

    Dave Watson, Aug 27, 2003