Linux dual wan router?

Discussion in 'Linux Networking' started by RogerN, Oct 4, 2014.

  1. RogerN

    RogerN Guest

    Here's my situation, I have a slow DSL (~730? kbps) connection, I'm on the
    border of not available. The great thing about the DSL it I have unlimited
    data usage.

    My other connection is satellite at 10-12 Mbps, it has unlimited data usage
    from midnight till 5AM and 10G data usage per month, resets on the 28th.

    The DSL has much faster ping that the satellite but slower downloading.

    Unless there is already something like it, I would like to build a linux
    router that would use wan1 ( or wan1 + wan2) from midnight till 5AM and keep
    track of wan1 data usage and allow a running total, updated daily, resetting
    to zero on the 28th of the month.

    So on the 28th, my data allowance might be 300 meg, next day, 600 meg ... up
    to 9,900 or so meg on the 27th. That way, if I don't use my limit for a few
    days, I can catch up whenever I do have larger downloads or want to watch
    videos.

    I guess something like cron would allow me to perform some of these tasks,
    maybe at midnight turn wan1 ON and stop data usage counting on wan1, then at
    5am restart data usage counting on wan1 and calculate new total limit for
    the day.

    Would something like that work on a Raspberry PI with a couple of USB to
    ethernet adapters? Or would this be do-able with DDWRT or OpenWRT?

    Thanks!

    RogerN

    RogerN, Oct 4, 2014

  2. RogerN

    Moe Trin Guest

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2014, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    OK - do remote hosts see you using the same IP address/range (example,
    192.0.2.0/24) when you connect from _either_ WAN (i.e. you have your own
    routable addresses) - or are they different (example, 198.51.100.0/24
    on DSL, 203.0.113.0/24 on the satellite) - i.e. they're related to the
    ISP rather than you. If they're the same, you need to discuss this with
    your up-streams relating to routing issues.
    The DSL link is probably terrestrial - likely fiber between main nodes.
    The satellite is 22200 miles/35800 km above the equator - that's about
    239 msec of transit time just for the out/back distance.
    If you have different IPs from the two up-streams, trying to use both at
    the same time is very complicated (how does www.example.com know that
    they can send packets to your computer at either/both 198.51.100.51 and
    203.0.113.86 at the same time). If you have multiple local hosts and
    each is connected to a remote, they can each use either WAN at the same
    time (i.e. two hosts each using one WAN at the same time) - not trivial,
    but relatively simple. Likewise, one host at your end can connect to two
    _different_ remote servers - one link on each WAN - at the same time.
    Yup. Only minor complication - don't change the routing while the
    route is in actual use.
    I suspect the hardware would be adequate - have you looked at the
    Usenet newsgroup comp.sys.raspberry-pi?
    Should be - again, look at the network speed capability of the hardware.
    The software/computing requirements are relatively small.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Oct 5, 2014