    distro would you recommend?

    Cheers,
    Dany.

    Dany P. Wu, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Dany P. Wu

    Comp Guest

    Just get a USB -> TCP/IP printer server module
    $98 from DSE and much easier and less
    power / maintenance than running a PC.
    no fan noise also.

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/41c53eaf0500ac06273fc0a87f990689/Product/View/XH7601

    The printer then has an IP address which
    you can print to from any other PC
    on your network.

    The only advanage of using a PC is if you
    would also like some network storage
    then it would be a good idea. Eg storage
    of DVD's saved as AVI's and common
    documents and email.

    Comp, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Dany P. Wu said the following on 19/12/2004 9:20 p.m.:
    Xandros, a quick look showed canon well supported including USB, in V2
    OCD the i560 wasnt in the supported printers on USB but a driver should
    be locatably.

    -- ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 19, 2004
  6. Apparently you can use the BJC 7000 driver.
    Sounds like you just have problems with USB in general.
    Use CUPS and try it out with something like Knoppix first.

    http://linuxprinting.org/

    wogers nemesis, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Apparently you can use the BJC 7000 driver.

    wogers nemesis, Dec 19, 2004
  8. Dany P. Wu

    Guest Guest

    Mandrake 10.1 - latest version of Mandrake.

    Its successfully automatically configured all of my USB peripherals.

    Divine

    --
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a MOTHER,

    Guest, Dec 19, 2004
  10. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    Thanks - I'll look for a NZ mirror to download it. Xandros looks quite neat
    too but it's not free though, is it?? I've used Mandrake previously and
    would be keen to try Xandros - not sure if I want to spend money on it
    though.

    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Dec 19, 2004
  12. Dany P. Wu said the following on 19/12/2004 9:58 p.m.:
    There is an Open Circulation Distribution that is free, email me if you
    want a copy but it is available for download on Bit Torrent

    -- ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 19, 2004
  14. Dany P. Wu

    Mackin Guest

    My HP USB printer is attached to my Mandrake 10.0 box. I print to it
    effortlessly from Mandrake 10.1, Windows XP & Windows 2000.

    I've never had any problem with Mandrake and USB printers.

    Mackin.

    Mackin, Dec 19, 2004
  16. How reliable are these compared to the awfully expensive Jetdirect boxes
    (or cards)? I'd like to convince someone at work to use external print
    servers rather than annoying Windows Printer sharing setups (which are a
    real pain).

    wogers nemesis, Dec 19, 2004
  17. How reliable are these compared to the awfully expensive Jetdirect boxes

    wogers nemesis, Dec 19, 2004
  18. Dany P. Wu

    thing Guest

    Odd that you do, I found rh9, rhas3 to be zero effort USB printer servers...

    It is possible that you have issues with the USB fighting with the AGP
    slot, make sure the AGP slot has a IRQ applied to it and makre sure
    there are no other strange settings in the BIOS.

    Consider flashing the bios if you can, also look at a newer USB PCI card
    in case its old dodgy hardware doing it they are very cheap.

    Fedora should be an easy install and the gnome printer manager very usable.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Dec 20, 2004
  20. Hi there,
    Newer distros (Mandrake 10.0 here) have given me no trouble 'seeing' any
    printer on USB, but a compatible driver to run the thing might be a big
    issue (especially with a newer Canon....Canon aren't particularly nice
    to the Linux community with driver support)...

    Epsons and HP's are more well supported than Canon (my use of a USB
    Epson Photo 830 with Mandrake 10.0 is point in case...I can drive
    that printer with 95% of the functionality of the Windows/Mac driver
    that comes with it)...

    Setting up the Epson printer is completely GUI driven incase you were
    wondering too... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Registered Linux user #364954