LinkSys WRT54G

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Tony Martin, May 8, 2009.

  1. Tony Martin

    Tony Martin Guest

    I have a WRT54G Ver 6 Router.

    I want to replace the existing antenna(s)
    with a gain antenna(s) to obtain a little
    better transmit range.

    Must they both be changed?, if not which one
    should be replaced? Left or right one facing
    front of router?

    I read somewhere that both antennas are used (something
    called Diversity receiving where the router uses
    the antenna with the best reception). Can this
    be turned off and if so, how, and which antenna would
    still be active?

    Any help here appreciated.

    TIA,
    Tony

    Tony Martin, May 8, 2009

  2. Tony Martin

    Joseph Olson Guest

    Have you tried DD-WRT for that router? It allows you to up the
    transmission power of the router. That would help with range issues.

    Joe

    Joseph Olson, Apr 27, 2011

  3. If you raise the power output higher than the factory settings of about
    70% you have to watch the heat output of the transmitter. Adding a
    small fan blowing on the transmitter may be needed or else you risk the
    added heat destroying the assembly. From reading other threads on the
    subject the lower than maximum factory settings were based on passive
    cooling only.

    GlowingBlueMist, Apr 27, 2011