Linksys WRT54G and WPC54G network problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ok here goes,

    I have a WRT54G plugged into my PC via the ethernet port and the WPC54G
    plugged into my laptop. I was initially told that I can share files between
    the pc and laptop through the card and router and create a wireless network,
    however this doesn't seem possible.

    I'm able to connect to the internet from both pc's without any problems at
    all but I cannot share files.

    When I create a network and try to connect it says it is "not accessible
    and to contact the administrator". Also the desktop pc doesn't show up as
    being wireless I've created networks but none of them work or show up
    anywhere.

    Do I have to alter the settings in the router or is it something to do with
    the settings in windows? (XP with SP2) I've set the shared folders settings
    and allowed for the firewalls but now I'm at the point of throwing it out the
    window!!

    I contacted Linksys but they fobbed me off with the file sharing settings
    (big help! NOT)

    Please help me as I have another pc to add to this non-existent wireless
    network and really need to get it up and running...

    Guest, Oct 9, 2004

  2. Guest

    mike Guest

    just to help you...not!
    sp2 seems to be causing all kinds of problems with wireless networks.
    all the newsgroups are littered with msgs about the loss of wireless after
    installing sp2.

    one thing i have learned is to start from scratch, update all drivers
    concerned from the makers websites & follow one of the many guides on the
    net.
    a pitfall i made in one instance was not creating additional shares ( as the
    default ones are for the windows system itself only )
    and to def check the person setting up everything has admin rights

    hope this helps

    and good luck

    mike

    mike, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Guest

    Pavel A. Guest

    Please read about the new firewall in SP2.
    If this does not make sense for you, look for professional help.
    --PA

    Pavel A., Oct 10, 2004
  4. First, determine the ip address of the remote system. The create a share
    (on a printer or drive/directory) on the remote system. Afterwards try
    to access the share using

    \\<ip-address>\<sharename>

    e. g. \\192.168.1.2\testshare

    I was asked for a similiar problem just a few days ago. An access via IP
    did work, but access to the workgroup resulted in the error you describe.

    There is an additional service available which can be installed for a
    single connection (Start, Connect with, Show all connections, Right
    click on the connection in use, Properties and then the button install,
    select service and install Service Advertising Protocol).

    After I installed this one on both pcs, the error accessing the
    workgroup was gone, they showed up in the workgroup and the created
    shares were displayed.

    Bye,

    Andreas

    Andreas Klein, Oct 10, 2004
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have been doing my head in trying to get this to work. Your problem is
    mine (almost) exactly. I'm trying to link up with my sons computer but no
    joy. His computer however sees the network, sees my computer, sees
    everything! I have no 'wireless network' icon in my connections window which
    seems to be significant to me. The post from Andreas seems to be useful but
    I got lost after 'Start, connect with..... he must be using XP Prof. Have
    you had any success and please let me know if you have.

    Guest, Oct 28, 2004
  6. Guest

    Tanya Guest

    Tanya, Oct 31, 2004