    not accept the adapter, besides... you really don't want to install XP on a
    machine as old as yours with only 40MB of RAM. You can do it but it would
    run dog slow.

    Steve, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Mfatoldsun

    Thor Guest

    Well after a little digging, I think I may have discovered the problem with
    your setup. According to Linksys specs, your wireless adapter is a Cardbus
    type PCMCIA card. Cardbus support was just in it's infancy around 1997-1998,
    and was just starting to show up in laptops around then if memory serves me.
    So I pulled up IBM's info page on your model of Thinkpad, and it makes no
    mention of cardbus slots, just the older 16-bit type I,II, and type III PC
    cards. Also numerous posts gleaned from Google seem to support the notion
    that your laptop doesn't support Cardbus. So I think you are out of luck on
    that wireless G adapter. My advice would be to seek out an older style 16
    bit PC-Card for a wired connection. USB PC Card adapters are also likely out
    of the question since to my knowledge these are also Cardbus.

    Thor, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Mfatoldsun

    Thor Guest

    Oops, scratch that theory. I just realized that you are using the "B"
    adapter, not the "G" adapter. The B adapter is indeed a type III card. But,
    I still think there is probably an age-related compatibility issue here.

    Thor, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Mfatoldsun

    Thor Guest

    well scratch the scratch. :) I just downloaded the tech paper on the B
    adapter, and it does indeed require a 32 bit Cardbus slot (as well as 64MB
    of RAM in the min requirements). So it looks like my original theory may
    still hold water. I just forgot that the card type (I,II,III) is merely the
    size, not the interface type. Cardbus cards can be type I,II,II.

    Thor, Feb 9, 2004
  5. Mfatoldsun

    Mfatoldsun Guest

    Thor,
    Thank you. That makes perfect sense. Now how would I go about putting 64 MB
    RAM in this laptop? ....then I could hard-wire?? Thanks,

    ....mfat

    Mfatoldsun, Feb 9, 2004
  6. Mfatoldsun

    Thor Guest

    Well, 40MB is the max that you can have, according to both IBM, and Crucial
    Memory. So you are out of luck in upgrading your RAM any further. But I
    don't see why that would be necessary to use a regular PCMCIA network card.
    The 64MB of RAM requirement was listed in the wireless adapter specs.

    Thor, Feb 9, 2004
  7. Mfatoldsun

    Trent© Guest

    IBM sells a wireless LAN for that machine. If you can't get your
    present one working, you might consider getting the one from IBM.

    But I really think you have a hardware conflict. Try disabling the
    audio...or try installing from safe mode.

    And if I remember correctly from what I've read, you didn't try to
    install in safe mode yet. You tried to install from a DOS-boot mode.

    Bring up the Windows menu as the machine boots...then pick safe mode
    (which should eliminate any driver conflicts)...then install the card
    again.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 9, 2004
  8. Mfatoldsun

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    If you've ever run add new hardware on a machine in safe mode, the dialog
    box tells you that you can't do that in safe mode.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 9, 2004
  9. Mfatoldsun

    Mfatoldsun Guest

    Awesome! ...will it work with my Linksys router? Thanks for the input!!

    ....mfat

    Mfatoldsun, Feb 10, 2004
  10. Mfatoldsun

    Mfatoldsun Guest

    <<> The 64MB of RAM requirement was listed in the wireless adapter specs.>>

    .....thanks. I failed to read that before I bought it. Thanks for all the
    help. Greatly appreciated!!

    ....mfat

    Mfatoldsun, Feb 10, 2004
  11. Mfatoldsun

    Trent© Guest

    Yer probably correct...don't really remember.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 10, 2004