    Am I missing some setting or do I need to install some driver?

    Thanks
    Pawan

    pawanjalan, Mar 3, 2008

  2. pawanjalan

    smlunatick Guest

    Passphrase is usually for WPA. WEP uses a hex key (entered as hex or
    ascii.) Reconfigure the router and the Vista PC so as to use the WPA
    (WPA2) wireless security, which is a way better security than the
    "cracked" WEP method.

    smlunatick, Mar 3, 2008

  3. pawanjalan

    Jim Guest

    As the other posted, don't use WEP. It is too easy to break.

    Entering the key or passphrase (or whatever they call it) usually takes
    several tries.
    The software is extremely intolerant of the slightest error.

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 3, 2008
  4. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 3, 2008
  5. pawanjalan

    Barb Bowman Guest

    the WPC11 as I recall is an old 802.11b only card. And I believe you
    need a $$ add-on for WPA (there was a free one, but they sold out to
    McAfee who wants $4.95 per month..)

    yo are seriously at risk using WEP. it is like locking your door and
    leaving the key in the lock.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Mar 3, 2008
  6. pawanjalan

    pawanjalan Guest

    Thanks to everyone for your advice, I've gone back to WPA!

    Which still does not solve my problem of connecting WPC11 to the
    network.
    But it looks like I will need to change the WPC11 adapter as the card
    may not be supported by my WRTG54 router.

    Thanks
    Pawan

    pawanjalan, Mar 4, 2008
  7. pawanjalan

    Barb Bowman Guest

    it is probably supported if you set the router to b/g mixed mode and
    lower your security to an unsafe mode. if you change the card out
    for a faster newer card, you still have the issue of needing WPA for
    security. You need a third party utility ($$) as W2K doesn't
    natively support WPA.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Mar 4, 2008
  8. pawanjalan

    pawanjalan Guest

    ok i get you now
    didn't realise win2k is the culprit!

    will chek out what add-ons are available and upgrade if required!

    thanks
    pawan

    pawanjalan, Mar 5, 2008