LinkSys WAP54G: Admin PW Works In CD Setup, But Not In Web Page?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by (PeteCresswell), Dec 2, 2005.

  1. This is driving me nuts.

    Was on the phone with LinkSys support for a half hour today and at the end they
    just recommended I take the thing back and exchange it.

    I still might do that, but can't shake the idea that I'm just doing something
    dumb.

    Running the LinkSys setup CD, everything goes fine - including it's acceptance
    of the Admin password of 'admin'.

    But when I try to open up the WAP's setup page via IE, (using the default
    address 192.168.1.245) it seems to be getting to the device, because I get the
    password prompt dialog. But when I type 'admin' into the PW field and click
    OK, it just loops around and presents the dialog again.

    What I'm having trouble understanding is how the CD's dialog can work ok with
    'admin' as the PW, but the web page's "Enter Network Password" can't.

    There's no upper/lower case issue... I'm definitely typing in lowercase.

    ??

    (PeteCresswell), Dec 2, 2005

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Lem Guest

    Reading the manual for the WAP54G, I see that it describes how to log in to the
    configuration utility as follows:
    "Enter admin in the User Name field. The first time you open the Web-based Utility,
    use the default password, admin. (You can set a new password from the
    Administration - Management tab.) Then click the OK button."

    This is DIFFERENT from the way that the Linksys routers I have work -- the default
    for the WRT54G is a BLANK user name and "admin" for the password.

    If you typed "admin" [without quotes] in both the User Name and Password fields,
    try it again with a blank user name. If you tried a blank user name, try it again
    with "admin" as the User Name as well as the password.

    Lem, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Per Lem:
    Suspicions......*CONFIRMED*......

    I *was* doing something dumb.

    The WAP54G does, indeed, take a blank username - unlike either the WRT54g and
    the BEFSX41, whose default ID's are "Admin".

    Whew!.... But I feels a *teeny* bit better for having been on the phone
    w/LinkSys support and their not catching it either.

    Thanks!.... You saved me the couple man hours for driving back to CompuUSA to
    exchange the thing and an undetermined amount of time when the new unit
    exhibited the same behavior.

    (PeteCresswell), Dec 2, 2005
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    TOF Guest

    My WRT54G uses a blank password. Initially "admin" was the password.
    This seems to be at odds with the above statement.

    TOF, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Per TOF:
    Mine defaults to 'admin' with a UserID of 'Admin'.

    The zinger in the WAP's scheme of things is that they appear to have cloned the
    UserID/PW prompt dialog used in the other two boxes - even though the WAP
    doesn't even appear to have a provision for a UserID.... but the dialog contains
    a box for 'User ID'...leading foolish users like Yours Truly to believe that one
    could (or should... ) be supplied.

    (PeteCresswell), Dec 3, 2005
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    audriusa

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I confirm the same behavior of mine WAP54G: it requires to leave the user name field EMPTY to log in. As I have changed the administration password during setup, I needed to put the new, changed password in the form field.

    This is a very nasty problem because it forces people to have Windows just for setting up the device. I am really thankfull for this forum! :)

    audriusa, Jul 13, 2008