Linksys WAG54GS and the Power goes down...

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by Colin A, Oct 8, 2006.

  1. Colin A

    Colin A Guest

    An interesting one here....

    I manage a number of remote networks for companies and I always use Linksys
    ADSL Modem / Routers, as a standard I've tended to use the LINKSYS
    WAG54G-UK...

    The good thing about this unit is that it is simple... It has an ON / OFF
    switch on the back, so if there are power problems or the power is lost for
    any period of time the unit will come back on when the power is restored and
    I can then get in to the remote network and check that all the servers etc
    are back up and working... I also get SMS messages when the network is back
    up.... A good solution when you live an hours drive from the network...

    On one of my sites, the WAG54G packed up so we had to replace it a.s.a.p....

    I went to my local dealer and he said that the LINKSYS WAG54G had now been
    replaced with the LINKSYS WAG54GS which is a new unit with speed boost
    etc... Great..., sound like a winner....

    Well it sounded like a winner until we had another power problem in the
    local area... The LINKSYS WAG54GS is not as simple as the old unit... Once
    the power is cut to it the only way to get it back on again is to physically
    be there on site to push the button on the front of the unit..., and this
    seems to be the case with the majority of the new Linksys product range....

    My first idea was to put the Linksys into the UPS but that will not work if
    the UPS runs out before the power is restored...

    I see this as a major reason not to use Linksys for remote networking....

    Would be interested to know if any one knows of any way around this with the
    new Linksys units..., apart from of course not using Linksys!....

    Colin A, Oct 8, 2006

  2. Colin A

    Chris H. Guest

    I'd suggest you contact either the manufacturer's telephone support number,
    or perhaps
    check their web site for support information. This newsgroup supports
    Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware and software only.

    Chris H., Oct 8, 2006

  3. Colin A

    Colin A Guest

    Sorry, didn't relaise it was MS only...

    Linksys support here in the UK is just rubbish...., all Indian Call
    Centres..., might as well ask the cat...

    Colin A, Oct 9, 2006
  4. Colin A

    Chris H. Guest

    :cool: Might give the microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web newsgroup a go.
    Perhaps someone has already asked the question (use Search) there. But your
    best source would be the manufacturer's support since they know their own
    products.

    Chris H., Oct 9, 2006