    right yet. Can someone who's familar with this router and its setttings
    help me out? Or would I be better off just disabling the router
    firewall and using a software firewall? TIA

    Pancho Claus, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Pancho Claus

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Never having used this WinMX I understand it's some kind of p2p software.
    You may find your answer their or you may do Google and Dogpile.com searches
    find the ports for the p2p application.

    http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/archive/index.php/t-8072.html

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/port-forwarding-dmz.asp

    You may also want to go to Linksys' Tech Support Knowledgebase and find out
    how to use *port forwarding*. You may also want to find out what using a
    static IP on the router means and use that instead of a DHCP IP, which you
    would also config the NIC on he computer to use the static IP on the
    router. The reason for using an static IP is that it won' change and a DHCP
    assigned IP could change not likely in your case maybe be it could and PF
    would no longer work pointing to the wrong IP.

    BTW, the Linksys NAT router is just that a NAT router with some FW like
    features and you're lucky if a NAT router has SPI.

    You should keep the machine out of the DMZ.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 9, 2005

  3. The other respondent (Duane Arnold) is correct - you'll have to go into the
    advanced setup and forward the range of ports that WinMX uses. You'll have
    to consult the docs for the software to determine which ports, or range of
    ports, it uses. If you have Zone Alarm, or some other GOOD software
    firewall, you could put your machine's IP number in the DMZ, but you'll
    probably have to then forward the same range of ports for the software
    firewall. And it is correct that, for security reasons, you'll mostly want
    to keep out of the DMZ if at all possible.

    Good Luck!

    Techno Wanker, Jun 9, 2005
  4. Pancho Claus

    phil Guest

    try e-mule. much better than winmx.
    if u insist on still using mx, then get mxmonitor too.

    Phil

    phil, Jun 10, 2005