    on the Internet (just do a search for linksys router rfi). I'm
    looking for a home router using CAT5 wiring serving four computers
    and a cable modem.

    Jimmy, Mar 20, 2005

  2. Jimmy

    Jim C Guest

    They could very well be correct. Check your wiring because it could just as
    easily be coming in that way. Unhook one at a time.
    Jim

    Jim C, Mar 20, 2005

  3. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    I've isolated the problem back to the router by disconnecting the individual
    cables from the computers and cable modem to the router, turning off all
    computers, scanners, printers, room lamps, etc., and the RFI is always
    present until the router is turned off with and without all cables
    reconnected, all computer items turned back on, as well as all lamps. I
    used a battery power HF radio receiver to double verify that the router is
    the soul source of the RFI interference. This is why I'm looking for a new
    metal cased router.

    Jimmy, Mar 20, 2005
  4. Jimmy

    windsurferLA Guest

    It has been many years since I have had to deal with RFI as a Ham Radio
    operator, but I would guess that Jim C is right, and one of your CAT5
    cables is serving as an antenna.

    What steps are best to prevent the RFI from entering the router depends
    on the frequency of the RFI. If down at the low end of the spectrum,
    less than 10 MHz, threading the CAT5 cable through a ferrite core may
    help. Ferrite cores are frequently found on many USB port cables.

    If you think the RFI is going directly into the box, you can try
    wrapping the router in Aluminum Foil as grounding same.

    WindsurferLA

    windsurferLA, Mar 20, 2005
  5. Jimmy

    Travis Guest

    I am 3 blocks from a FM radio stations broadcast tower and have no
    problems with my BEFSR41. What kind of statement is "well documented on
    the internet"? The internet?

    Travis, Mar 21, 2005
  6. Jimmy

    windsurferLA Guest

    When I read your first post, I assumed that some outside source was
    interfering with the operation of the router. From you second post I
    realized that the router is the source of RFI that is interfering with
    another electronic appliance, perhaps the "High Frequency" (HF) receiver
    you mentioned. If same is indeed the case, I suggest that you relocate
    the antenna for the HF receiver further away from the router, and link
    the antenna to the HF in a manner design to minimize feed line pick up.
    (Coaxial cable is usually best.)

    I'm assuming that when you use the term "High Frequency" receiver, you
    are using the term in the 1950's context meaning a radio receiver
    designed to receive signals in the 3.5 MHz to 30 MHz range. If the
    router uses a switching inverter power supply, it is quite likely that
    it could be the source of broad band interference in the 3.5 to 30 MHz
    range. Again, placing a grounded electro-static shield (Aluminum foil)
    around the rounter may help.

    windsurferLA, Mar 22, 2005
  7. Jimmy

    gigauser Guest

    Linksys BEFSR41 ver2 crapped out 2/23 on adelphia cable modem.
    This set-up sees a historically extremely high RF bkg noise level,
    with both commercial and military signals multipathing off of
    nearby mountain range. Linksys router always worked perfectly
    until it failed @ ~ 2.5 yrs.

    replacements all had "issues", though it turns out so does adelphia,
    curiously, or coincidentally ("coincidence" is what we call it when
    we can't see the pulleys and levers...), ever since the router
    crapped out. adelphia upped the caps but also incurred some kind
    of DNS issue at/around the same time; ever since then the longest
    Cat5 run -- ~ 40' -- hasn't been as reliably lightning-fast as it
    used to be. I haven't moved that machine to see if the longish
    cat5 run is now suddenly an issue or if that machine's port is now
    suddenly an issue, but none of the routers I've tried have worked
    as transparently/fast on that run as did that self-destructed Linksys.

    ANYWAY, WalMart has a $39 router called NetworkEverywhere (see
    http://www.networkeverywhere.com ) that seems to be very close
    to the BEFSR41 ver2 -- the power supply seems beefier/better
    and the unit itself is smaller and comes in a metal case. It
    is a Linksys product, complete with minimal 1-yr warranty (ugh;
    with Linksys if it dies out of warranty, as they seem to all
    do one day, that means "chuck it in a landfill"). All the same
    old browser setup screens (in red instead of blue), plus a
    logging feature (no timestamp, though) that can't be disabled
    but needn't be attended to, either. (whenever it misses a beat,
    though, which is rare but not as rare as w/the BEFSR41, I wonder
    if it wasn't busy logging something or other -- or if it's a new
    adelphia thing)

    I found routers with wifi that, with hefty rebates (in exchange
    for your ID + unit's MAC address), cost less, but none worked better
    for wired LAN than did this off-brand Linksys, and all had fancier
    features with attendant issues, so they went back (D-Link DI-524
    has a built-in clock that couldn't keep time to within 6 minutes
    per hour, its URL string filtering proved to be latching (nearby)
    domain filtering, it mangled some authenticated [ie, password-
    protected] web page requests...)

    gigauser, Mar 22, 2005