    a straight through cable,Does anyone know if this is the right cable and if
    so what does it connect to. Thanks in advance.

    Lawrence

    Lawrence, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Lawrence

    Mara Guest

    It isn't. You use CAT5 (or higher) cable for the router, not a crossover.

    Mara, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Lawrence

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    CAT5 is the cable type standard, they can either be straight though or
    crossover.

    -= Hawk =-, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Lawrence

    Stevo Guest

    Straight through or crossover, the cable is still Cat 5 (or higher).. :)

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Lawrence

    Stevo Guest

    You need a 'straight through' CAT 5 cable between the modem and the
    router...

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Lawrence

    Mara Guest

    I've never seen a crossover CAT5.

    "Never even heard of one, until now."

    Mara, Oct 19, 2003
  7. Lawrence

    Stevo Guest

    Cat 5 etc is a cable standard.. the basic 8 core cable is used to make up
    cables of various types.. the common ones are straight through and
    crossover..

    http://www.southwest.com.au/~jfuller/rj45/rj45.htm

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Lawrence

    Mara Guest

    I'm aware it's a standard. However, the crossover I'm looking at right now just
    says it's a patch cable, and I've got straight-through CAT5s and CAT5es on my
    personal LAN which actually _say_ they're CAT 5 and 5e. Perhaps that's where I
    got a bit confused. The LAN is run through the same make/model of router as the
    OPs.

    "The LAN I run at work uses 5e, also."

    Mara, Oct 20, 2003
  9. Lawrence

    Stevo Guest

    Mara wrote:
    <snip>

    The cable itself, should have CAT 5, (E) etc, printed on it every so often
    along its length..

    The crossover label is usually an add on external label for easy
    identification.

    In many cases the colour of the cable sheath itself signifies it usage - red
    is often used for cross over or special application, blue or gray for data,
    yellow for voice and white for special services but this cannot ever be
    assumed without clear evidence of the cable type. The easiest way to
    identify straight through or crossover is to look at the wire colours at the
    clear connector on each end (if the connector isn't moulded over) - side by
    side, in the same orientation. The difference is quite obvious.

    Stevo, Oct 20, 2003
  10. Lawrence

    Guest Guest

    Make sure you're using PPPoE in the router for the cable modem. Most
    cable companies use this.

    Guest, Oct 20, 2003
  11. Lawrence

    Mara Guest

    It does.
    I don't recall this cable ever having anything on it, but it's been a long time
    since I ran a simple two-machine network, too.
    Well, it would be if I had my glasses on, maybe. I can't read my screen then,
    though. LOL

    Mara, Oct 20, 2003
  12. Lawrence

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Oct 20, 2003
  13. Lawrence

    Guest Guest

    OOOPPPSS - My Bad - Too many cocktails today!

    Guest, Oct 20, 2003
  14. This router should work JUST FINE if you re-initialize it -- there is a
    reset button that you have to hold down for at least 3 seconds -- see
    the Linksys site.

    For cable, you normally just set it up to get its address from the DHCP
    server; for DSL, you might've had a fixed IP address and so you have to
    remove that.

    You should only be using standard Cat 5 patch cables, not any crossover
    cables. Make sure you have the wire running from the cable modem (WAN
    port) to the router's WAN port (not one of the LAN/"ethernet" ports).
    When you connect that physically, and have the cable connected to the
    cable modem, is the WAN light on the router lit?

    Use your browser to go to the SEtup page, and set the WAN address to
    "Obtain an IP automatically". Click Apply. Then go to the Status tab &
    see if it has a WAN IP address and shows the DNS servers and default
    gateway.

    No use going any further with this until you get that far, and report
    back what lights are lit (or not).

    -- DE

    Tergiversative, Oct 20, 2003
  15. Lawrence

    Lawrence Guest

    I went out and got a straight through cable and got rid of the red crossover
    one, Everything works fine now,Thanks for everyones help.

    Lawrence, Oct 20, 2003