    that my ISP would have to install. Is this correct? What kind of
    driver is this and what's it for?

    Thanks if you can help.

    jimrainfordson, Jan 18, 2007

  2. jimrainfordson

    Chris H. Guest

    If the modem is supplied by your Internet Service Provider, then they are
    the ones who are responsible for the upgrading, not you. I would contact
    them for further information. Normally, an ISP will upgrade the firmware
    with a "push" to the modems within their system and perhaps also upgrade
    their own firmware in their central office.

    Chris H., Jan 18, 2007

  3. Thanks for the help Chris.

    I realize in most cases the ISP rents the modem but in my case I
    provided my own (and so avoid the monthly rental fee). If there is
    firmware available, gigabyte didn't provide it possibly because this
    particular modem is in its 4th version and so updates have not been
    needed. Because it's actually a "driver" and not firmware, then I
    guess it must reside either with my OS or with whatever software the
    ISP uses. Obviously I can't control what they do, but if the driver is
    something XP is concerned with then I'd like to take care of it if I
    can.

    Jim

    jimrainfordson, Jan 19, 2007
  4. jimrainfordson

    Chris H. Guest

    It would only be firmware on the modem itself, and not an issue with a
    "driver" which XP would not have for a modem. I would ask your ISP, as
    that's where support would know the information, or contact the manufacturer
    of the modem itself.

    Chris H., Jan 19, 2007
  5. The Linksys Tech said it was something the ISP would have to do. There
    was a bit of a language barrier talking to the tech and I ended up
    repeating the same thing over and over until he understood what I was
    saying. The help was sincere but I just wasn't sure if I communicated
    the problem correctly. Anyway, it's nice to have someone like you
    confirm it with a second opinion. I'll assume it's out of my hands
    and not worry about it. Thanks for your hep and advice Chris.

    Jim

    jimrainfordson, Jan 20, 2007
  6. :I have a linksys cable modem, BEFCMU10 v4. The Linksys website offers
    :a driver for this modem:
    :
    :http://tinyurl.com/2tjeoo
    :
    :I run Windows XP and I was assuming that I would need to upgrade the
    :driver by way of the Device Manager. I then realized that I don't
    :really know what I am supposed to upgrade because I can't seem to find
    :the modem listed anywhere. (I also use a Linksys router)
    :
    :I contacted Linksys and the tech told me that this driver was something
    :that my ISP would have to install. Is this correct? What kind of
    :driver is this and what's it for?

    The driver is needed only if you are connecting to the modem via its USB
    interface. Since you're using a router, you obviously aren't doing that
    (and if you _were_ using the USB connection, Windows XP would have
    prompted you to install the driver). The Linksys technician must have
    been referring to the firmware in the modem. Changes to that firmware
    are done by your ISP from the cable side of the modem, and you have no
    control whatsoever over that process.

    Robert Nichols, Jan 20, 2007
  7. The modems don't support a configuration where the customer can choose
    to use whatever modem he wants? They only support a configuration where
    the modem is managed by the ISP? That seems kind of strange. That
    certainly isn't the case with DSL, dialup, and most other Internet
    access methods.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Jan 20, 2007
  8. jimrainfordson

    Chris H. Guest

    Normally, an ISP has settings on "their" modem for contacting their system,
    and the customers aren't privy to the information (like Verizon DSL in the
    U.S.). Firmware updates or changes to "their" modem are done from the ISP
    side of the configuration, and change likely with changes in the central
    office with DSL (or the equivalent for the cable head-end) on their
    firmware.

    However, this is pretty off-topic here, since this newsgroup is for support
    of Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware and software only.

    Chris H., Jan 20, 2007
  9. :Robert Nichols wrote:
    :> Changes to that firmware
    :> are done by your ISP from the cable side of the modem, and you have no
    :> control whatsoever over that process.
    :
    :The modems don't support a configuration where the customer can choose
    :to use whatever modem he wants? They only support a configuration where
    :the modem is managed by the ISP? That seems kind of strange. That
    :certainly isn't the case with DSL, dialup, and most other Internet
    :access methods.

    The customer can choose any cable modem that is on the list of modems
    that the ISP supports. The ISP always has to supply a configuration
    file for the modem (settng rate caps, possible port filtering, among a
    whole bunch of other configuration options) and is solely responsible
    for providing and installing firmware updates. It's the same for DSL.
    Just try buying a DSL modem that isn't supported by your ISP and see how
    far you get with it.

    Robert Nichols, Jan 21, 2007
  10. For the record, you are correct that my ISP did something to configure
    the modem when I first signed up (I think) by way of the "MAC" number.
    However, this was NOT a firmware upgrade. It was a DRIVER, as my
    original link clearly shows. This is what originally lead to my
    confusion.

    I cross posted to the linksys group but got no response there. Sorry
    if this group was inappropriate, but when I searched google it seemed
    the closest based on topic. You were the only one to offer help.
    Thanks.

    jimrainfordson, Jan 21, 2007
  11. jimrainfordson

    Chris H. Guest

    I see you're in a bit of a bind, but cannot really assist you. The solution
    really is with your ISP.

    Chris H., Jan 21, 2007