    If I do not need any of the bells and whistles like VLAN's/QoS etc. can I
    assume the Linksys will perform at the same speeds and performance.

    As Cisco have bought em I assume they were becoming a threat in some way.

    Gary, Oct 14, 2006

  2. No, that's not a good assumption at all; it would be false for most
    inexpensive gigabit switches. And unfortunately it is often quite
    difficult to find independant reviews that aren't just a rewriting
    of the advertising brochure.

    Someone did point out an inexpensive linksys to me recently, for which
    I -was- able to find a positive independant review; it was the SD2008
    (a design from a couple of years ago), and the review is at
    http://soltesz.net/sd2008/part3.html
    It's pretty good considering the price, but it does *not* get
    gigabit at minimum packet size (which is what Cisco measures),
    and the latency creeps up with packet size. The SD2008 is completely
    unmanaged. I found a number of reviews that says that the fan on it
    is quite noisy and that it runs hot; one review said it ran quiet and
    cool, so it is possible they changed the fan design along the way.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 14, 2006

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Trying to find reviews of the SR2024 and tech sheet but there is precious
    little. Blurb says:
    The 24-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch provides non-blocking, wire speed
    switching

    Price comarison is $400 v's $Loads for anything Gig from Cisco.

    Gary

    Gary, Oct 14, 2006
  4. Consider the SRW2024 instead -- at least you'll get WebView so
    you can do some remote configuration.

    The SR2024 and SRW2024 both review as having a loud fan.

    Real information... hard to find. There's some nuggets here,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16833124049

    I found a mid-sized thread from someone using the SRW's who couldn't
    get more than 300 Mbit/s throughput; no-one was able to come up
    with anything that helped his particular situation (whatever the
    actual cause was.) There was a useful resource in there,

    http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/nethub/article.php/3485486
    "Squeeze Your Gigabit NIC for Top Performance"

    I skimmed over lots of other links, but the rest was just fluff or
    ads or people asking whether anyone knew anything about them...

    Walter Roberson, Oct 15, 2006