[Linksys/Cisco BEFSX41] Connected DSL, ping works, all DNS queries fail

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Patrick 'Zener' Brunet, Aug 12, 2007.

  1. Hello.

    All is in the title.

    The brand new router is connected to my ISP through his DSL box, which is
    configured in simple bridge mode.

    The connection is on: from the PC in IPCONFIG /ALL, I can see the IP of the
    DNS servers, and I can successfully ping them.

    But simply pinging any domain name fails: no resolution. And so no Web etc.

    I tried on LAN side both in DHCP and fix IP mode, no change.
    I tried to completely disable the firewall, no change.

    Actually, the router simply does not properly propagate the DNS queries :-(

    Notice that the same connection works when replacing only the router with my
    old one (Netgear).

    Maybe a tip... I adjusted the MTU to 1492 because it is recommended for the
    DSL box. I've read in some advices that there could be a related problem
    with some Linksys routers (due to a bug in the firmware ?).

    Any idea of what is happening ? Thank you.

    Patrick 'Zener' Brunet, Aug 12, 2007

  2. Hello Me.

    So if someone finds the question, here is the answer:

    I got it to work by setting the MTU to disable (custom value), so enabling
    automatic management.

    Finally if it manages to manage, why not ?

    Patrick 'Zener' Brunet, Aug 12, 2007

  3. Patrick 'Zener' Brunet

    mobbarley

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2007
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    strange solution.

    mobbarley, Aug 12, 2007
  4. Me again.

    OK, DNS works but many timeouts after, really unusable :[email protected]

    I downgraded the builtin firmware v.1.50.18 to old 1.45.3 and now, all works
    fine, even when setting back the MTU to manual value of 1492.

    Patrick 'Zener' Brunet, Aug 12, 2007