Linksys BEFW11S4 cable router and new ACER laptop problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Chris Macnamara, Jun 14, 2006.

  1. Help please!

    I have had a wifi network running for around 18 months now, so that I could
    surf the net on my Dell PDA, and connect a Sony PSP and a Nintendo DS, and
    that worked great.

    I bought a new laptop on Sunday, turned it on, and got it to search for my
    WEP encryped home network, which it did beautifully. I was surfing at great
    BB speeds, for around an hour or so, when it started to slow down, but I
    just put that down to NTL traffic.

    Yesterday, I decided to be clever, and activated file sharing on home PC
    (connected to the router via network cable) and the wireless laptop, so that
    I could listen to my PC music anywhere, via the laptop.

    Now I can't keep an internet connection for more than a few minutes, even on
    the home PC, and I only had shared file access for a short period.

    To get things going again, I need to pull the power plug out of the router
    for a few seconds, and then connect it again. This APPEARS to give stable
    internet connection on the Home PC, but after a couple of mins surfing on
    the laptop, it's gone again.

    The Linksys router log software shows nothing, and the laptop can still see
    the router, saying I have an excellent connection, even when I can't see the
    web. I have disabled file sharing on both machines to eliminate that as a
    cause.

    machines.

    Any ideas to help an exhasperated amateur, please?

    Regards

    Chris

    PS I have put a bid on ebay on the G version of this router, incase it is
    that which is buggered.

    Chris Macnamara, Jun 14, 2006

  2.
    Chris Macnamara, Jun 14, 2006