Links won't open & Adware.Gator detected

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by George, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. George

    George Guest

    I have 2 problems and I am not sure if they are related so I will describe
    both.

    1.. I am sometimes unable to open links in IE, the links work for a period
    of time then they stop working, when I restart my computer I can open links
    again (for a while).
    2.. Norton AntiVirus has detected 1 at risk file "Adware.Gator" file name
    "gist 001 1234 4209.exe"
    I am running:

    Windows XP Professional Version 5.1

    Internet Explorer Version: 6.0

    I Have Norton AntVirus and Personal Firewall running.

    I use Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot-Search &Destory; I update and
    run them about once a week.

    I have just installed, updated and am running SpywareBlaster.

    I have installed and ran Synantec Adware.Gator Fix Tool 1.0.4 and it says
    "Adware.Gator has not been found on your computer".

    I delete the Adware.Gator every time I run Norton's AntiVirus but it is
    found again every time I run Norton's.

    I guess you can tell by my post I am computer challenged so please give me a
    step by step a dummy could understand and I will try a figure it out LOL!

    Thanks for any help,

    George

    George, Jan 22, 2005

  2. George

    THEOLDONE Guest

    George:

    It "appears" that you Downloaded something from the web, without reading the
    Policy. Gator is "Spyware" that is sending or copying everything you R
    doing . Am not certain, but think it's reqyiured that company's state what
    they will use info if you download from them

    Use Adaware to "delete" the Gator and your messages will vanish.
    HTH

    THEOLDONE, Jan 22, 2005

  3. George

    George Guest

    I have checked for updates and ran Ad-Aware and it does not find
    Adware.Gator and there are no results with Spybot either.

    George, Jan 22, 2005
  4. George

    samuel Guest

    reboot and
    try running these programs when off line and no other programs
    running (like norton etc.)

    you can also try
    CWShredder and
    Hijackthis http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?

    check your Hijackthis log file here.
    http://hijackthis.de/index.php?langselect=english
    or http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

    did you try online scans ?
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    http://www.mcafee.com/us/

    news groups

    alt.comp.anti-virus
    alt.privacy.spyware

    samuel, Jan 22, 2005
  5. SP2? Try the MS beta. It found two ancient files from spyware apps
    I'd thought I'd got rid of when I got this machine a year ago.*

    *Reason for less geeky users to clean install rather than upgrade
    install.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Jan 23, 2005
  6. Damn! I almost forgot! Norton was giving me a similar issue on the
    old C drive. About the time I installed the MS beta (heh), Norton,
    which I had attempted to auto uninstall and manually uninstall the
    week before and thought I had at least turned off for good, started
    finding virus in a user profile folder and would prompt me for
    deletion. It would then delete successfully but the message would
    come back.

    The first time I saw it was when I was attempting to authenticate XP
    prior to downloading the beta. Yes, this is a legit XP. MS wanted to
    install an Active X component and though I would allow it, it would
    fail due to security settings. (It also started having other trouble
    with active x alerts but only the ones in the bar under the toolbars.)
    The Norton message popped up. I tried a couple more times to
    authenticate and the same thing happened. Norton kept finding a virus
    it had just told me had been deleted.

    I manually dloaded the beta with later authentication and when I ran
    it the first time I got the Norton message again! Thereafter it
    didn't occur but the beta had run once and then always runs as I'd
    left it set to auto scan daily (never found anything even when I
    didn't run adaware or anything else).

    Since that was just days before a planned clean install on a new HDD,
    I didn't sweat it. All backups were already done except
    ....\Agent\Data and I didn't have the time or inclination to track it
    down.

    Thus my earlier recommendation that you try the MS beta is modified.
    If you don't have Norton, I would recommend it. If you do, maybe not.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Jan 23, 2005