    also?

    3com software says the NIC is working properly. (?)

    John

    JohnB, Jun 1, 2004

  2. JohnB

    jt Guest

    Depending on the unit ( what router type and model do you own ? ) , a lit
    LED can mean that either
    the interface itself is up and operational, OR that L3 connectivity is
    established. In either case one
    should see the manual of the router. Many manufacturers handle it different.
    In your case I suggest
    that the hardware logic of the Interface was up, but no line protocol was
    available so you were
    unable to ping.

    jt, Jun 2, 2004

  3. JohnB

    Jeff C Guest

    The Cisco 1600 I have sitting next to me give a link light for layer one
    connectivity. I know this because I just plugged an ethernet loop back
    cable in and it stayed lit (no flashing or anything).

    I suspect others may be similar, "If I get a 'signal' on RX then I must have
    a link to something."

    -Jeff C

    Jeff C, Jun 3, 2004