Limited or No Connectivity (new)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I hadn't known there was this much diversity as far as the computer brands,
    and wireless network adapters experiencing this problem. I own:

    Sony Vaio PCG-GRT-260G
    Pentium 4 2.8ghz
    512 DDRAM
    LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter
    Windows XP Home w/SP2(<-lol)
    Linksys Wireless-b Router

    As you might have guessed, my problem is that under no circumstances will
    the network card automatically configure a network address for my computer.
    Thus, I have: powercycled both the modem and router, reconfigured the router
    correctly, manually configured the TCP/IP settings for the network cards of
    both computers to make sure it wasn't just an annoying IP address conflict,
    and reinstalled drivers for the network card.

    The most I've achieved is synchronizing the IP addresses to make the
    annoying bubble message go away, and allowing communication between the two
    computers on the network:

    Laptop:
    IP: 192.168.1.xxx
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Router IP: 192.168.1.1

    With these settings, the most I achieve is interactivity between the
    networked computers, but I cannot get the laptop to recieve the internet
    through the router.
    Also, in an attempt to at least get on the internet for awhile, I connected
    the modem directly to the laptop and my computer is missing the option to
    create a broadband connection with a username and a password(lol!wtf!). Today
    I transferred about 40 gigs from the laptop to the desktop, in preparation
    for formatting and installation of an entire new version of Windows XP. I
    have spent almost a month browsing tech forums and reading/doing the exact
    same thing over and over. I'm well passed any standard network
    troubleshooting procedure - all my configurations coordinate correctly, but I
    simply can't get internet! (Also interesting to note - when directly
    connected to the router via ethernet, my Local Area Connection encounters the
    *exact* same problem.

    Is there yet a confirmed fix for this problem?

    ANY help would be much appreciated, of course.

    Guest, Jun 30, 2005

  2. Guest

    Clark Guest

    Do you have the lastest firmware and drivers for the wireless card?

    Can you ping an internet address like www.yahoo.com?

    If you run ipconfig /all, do you show DNS servers?

    Do you have any firewalls in place on either your computer, or the router?

    What type of broadband do you have? What modem brand and model number?

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 30, 2005