limited account user

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a Dell Computer with the following:

    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Processional
    Operating System Version: 5.1.2600

    I want to allow programs to be run by a limited account user. I have
    Quickbooks Pro and it can only be run by the Admin account user. When I try
    to open it in the limited user account I get an error message window
    entitled: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. The message is:

    Runtime Error
    Program c:\program\intuit\quickbooks 2005\qbw32.exe
    Abnormal program termination

    Please communicate back to me how to change the settings to allow programs
    to be run by both accounts or if necessary just the limited account user. Or
    tell me where and what to read. I have looked all thru the “Help and Support
    Center†and have not found out how.

    Thanks,

    Guest, Aug 19, 2006

  2. You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
    Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
    designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to handle
    individual user profiles with differing security permissions levels, or
    the application is designed to make to make changes to "off-limits"
    sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows system folders.

    For example, saved data are often stored in a sub-folder under the
    application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions. (Games
    are particularly likely to follow this horrible practice.)

    It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
    of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
    accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
    properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
    often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
    appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
    administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
    the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
    application with one that was properly designed specifically for
    WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrum Russell

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Doesn't have anything to do with x64, but even quickbooks can be beaten into
    submission. It's just not trivial. I'm sure Susan Bradley has something on
    it in her blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 19, 2006
  4. You might like to visit this site dedicated to reclaiming administrative
    privileges for administrative purposes:

    www.threatcode.com

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Aug 20, 2006