    general-purpose model which I can defend as being 'equivalent'.

    Thanks in advance...

    , Oct 31, 2005

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi everyone, my Coolpix 880 was stolen last week. Luckily, I had
    > insurance which will cover it (apart from the excess). The insurers
    > want to know what a like-for-like replacement will cost, but of course
    > the digital camera market has moved on a long way since the 880 was
    > launched in 2001.

    Lets hope that your insurance company don't insist on the same pixel count!
    And good to hear that your camera was still working after all this < digital

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Oct 31, 2005

  3. <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone, my Coolpix 880 was stolen last week. Luckily, I had
    > insurance which will cover it (apart from the excess). The insurers
    > want to know what a like-for-like replacement will cost, but of course
    > the digital camera market has moved on a long way since the 880 was
    > launched in 2001. Can anyone suggest what the 'equivalent' Nikon model
    > would be now? I guess this means a mid-market, compact, quality,
    > general-purpose model which I can defend as being 'equivalent'.
    >
    > Thanks in advance...

    I'd think twice about filing a claim for something with so little residual
    value. It's fully depreciated at this time -- no matter what you originally
    paid for it-- so you won't get much of a settlement. And your premiums will
    skyrocket-- or they may decline to renew your policy. Remember, insurance is
    to protect you from catastrophes, not from little bumps in the road. Life is
    not risk free ;-)

    Pat

    Patrick Cleburne, Oct 31, 2005
  4. Guest

    Thanks; it's travel insurance so I don't have much worry about the
    renewal premiums or the risk of not getting the next policy. I do take
    your point about low residual value of the camera, though. I have just
    looked and can see 880s being sold on eBay for well under £100. So if
    I can ask my question in a different form - can you guide me through
    the current Coolpix range? I really liked my 880 (you can see I've not
    kept up with the market!) and wonder what the successor range is now.
    The Coolpix range is a lot wider than it was.

    , Oct 31, 2005
  5. Hi,

    I had to replace my wife's 880 as it had finally given up the ghost - an
    excellent camera in its time and until last week still took great pictures.

    I replaced it with a 7900 and so far am very pleased with it. I think that
    the 5900 is the same but 5MP instead of 7MP.

    Although I have a coolpix 8800 I have started using the 7900 for quick snaps
    as well.

    Stewart

    Stewart Vane-Tempest, Nov 1, 2005