    Anyone have any information about this technology, or guesses as to what
    direction it might take?

    Thanks!

    Lunaray, Jan 23, 2005

  2. Lunaray

    Joe S Guest

    Ummmm...

    http://www.lightscribe.com/

    --
    Joe

    Flush beats a straight
    Drive on the right
    AlasKa AriZona ARkansas

    Joe S, Jan 23, 2005

  3. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    Been there! Not much information, and as near as I can tell, the only way
    it's available so far is with a new HP computer, that's why I posted the
    question, read my post again!

    Lunaray, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Lunaray

    Joe S Guest

    I have no desire, and no reason, to read your post again.

    You asked if anyone had information about the technology. You made NO
    mention of having visited the LightScribe website, and your post made it
    clear that you hadn't read this website when you said: "if there was a
    hardware device available which sole purpose was to etch labels on discs
    that were already burned, I would definitely consider it! " as it's
    clear that it requires special media and will not work on standard discs.

    If you want to get "credit" for having done some research, you have to
    sort of act like you did the research.

    Joe

    Joe S, Jan 23, 2005
  5. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    There was no reason to mention that I had already checked it out, that was
    obvious! I'm trying to initiate some meaningful and intelligent discussion
    about this new technology, something that apparently, you don't understand!

    Lunaray, Jan 23, 2005
  6. Lunaray

    Joe S Guest

    You stated that your exposure to the technology was though "a lot of HP
    ads lately touting "LightScribe"" OF COURSE there would be a good
    reason to ADD that you had visited the website, and perhaps mention its
    URL for others to examine.

    In addition, you set forth that you would consider buying something that
    etches labels on already burned discs. This makes it clear that you did
    no research on this product as LightScribe does not provide this capability.

    A discussion that *you* initiate begins by *you* putting forth what you
    know, and then someone else adding what they know. You seem incapable of
    that in that the total amount of information you provided to initiate
    the discussion was minimal...that it had something to do with HP and
    that it is a laser-etching labeling system (which it most certainly is NOT).

    Good luck on your "discussion".

    Joe

    Joe S, Jan 23, 2005
  7. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    Other than what is on HP's, or LightScribe's web-site, I know nothing silly
    boy! Any intelligent discussion on this subject obviously leaves you out of
    the mix!

    Lunaray, Jan 23, 2005
  8. Lunaray

    Bill Guest

    I must have filtered out the right individuals months ago (there are several
    routine troublemakers that I grew weary of). Your responses to them, and
    your original post, are all that I'm seeing in this thread.

    I did read the other day that there are supposed to be standalone burners
    featuring Lightscribe technology coming from several other manufacturers
    (BenQ is one, I believe) in the months to come...but I've read nothing yet
    about a standalone label making device utilizing this technology. I would
    definitely be interested though.

    Bill, Jan 23, 2005
  9. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    I think that it's just a matter of time before something like a stand-alone
    piece of hardware might be available! I've seen a lot of posts in
    Newsgroups about the pitfalls of printed labels for CD's & DVD's, so it's
    nice to see an alternative come along, there's a market for it!. It's good
    to hear that you'll be able to buy a drive soon featuring this technology
    without having to buy a computer, I'll be watching!

    Lunaray, Jan 23, 2005
  10. Lunaray

    Biz Guest

    And you....

    Biz, Jan 24, 2005
  11. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    Hmm? I didn't know that you could filter out the rif-raf, I better take a
    look at my mail settings! :)

    Lunaray, Jan 24, 2005
  12. Lunaray

    Mike Kohary Guest

    He didn't ask if anyone had information on the technology. He asked if
    there were stand-alone disc etchers. I can see how you read his "discs that
    were already burned" the way you did, but what he meant was if you burned a
    disc using this kind of media, was there then a way to etch a label onto it
    later with a stand-alone device?

    As far as I know, the answer is "no", though it certainly sounds like a
    handy device so it wouldn't surprise me if I were either wrong, or if such
    devices were produced shortly.

    Mike Kohary, Jan 25, 2005
  13. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    Thank you! I thought my post was pretty clear as to what I was asking, but
    there are those out there who cruise Newsgroups just to get their rocks off
    by being derogatory!

    Lunaray, Jan 25, 2005
  14. Lunaray

    Joe S Guest

    All this rigamarole because I pointed you to http://www.LightScribe.com
    which you clearly hadn't read, but then you wanted to claim that you had
    read it even though you didn't know anything that's contained on the
    website.

    Grow up.

    --
    Joe

    Flush beats a straight
    Drive on the right
    AlasKa AriZona ARkansas

    Joe S, Jan 25, 2005
  15. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    You don't read very well do you? I visited LightScribe's web site before
    you ever tried to point me there, and there's nothing there but some
    promises of things to come, licensing enquiries, and a link to HP's web
    site!

    Lunaray, Jan 25, 2005
  16. Lunaray

    Joe S Guest

    It describes just how it works and we see that it's available now on (at
    least) 2 HP systems. I don't know WHERE you get this "promises of things
    to come". It works. They're selling it.

    For someone with an interest in the product, you sure didn't bother to
    read much. Allow me to spoon-feed you.

    "Conceived by an HP engineer, LightScribe technology (combined with
    LightScribe media) is a complete solution for creating unique
    laser-etched labels onto your CDs and DVDs. HP is launching LightScribe
    Direct Disc Labeling on select PCs and drives."

    "Burn your tracks onto the data side of the disc. Flip the disc over to
    the label side and put it back in the drive. Burn your label by opening
    your favorite LightScribe-enabled label-making software and going to the
    CD template work area."

    "Your LightScribe-enabled CD/DVD disc drive contains a special laser
    that pumps light energy into a thin dye coating on the label side of the
    disc. The light from the laser causes a chemical change in the dye
    coating that shows up as a visible point on the disc."

    "*LightScribe media required. LightScribe creates a gray-scale image
    similar to a black-and-white photograph." (only $8.99 for a 5-pack!!!)

    Available NOW on HP Pavilion a820n Desktop PC and HP Pavilion a830n
    Desktop PC.

    That's enough...you're too lazy. BuhBye.

    --
    Joe

    Flush beats a straight
    Drive on the right
    AlasKa AriZona ARkansas

    Joe S, Jan 25, 2005
  17. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    I read all of that before you replied to my original post!

    Bye Bye! :)
    ..

    Lunaray, Jan 25, 2005
  18. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    It was nice of you to copy & paste their product information though!

    Lunaray, Jan 25, 2005
  19. Lunaray

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Are you trolling? I think it's obvious to everyone else that you
    misunderstood his question. For example, he's not interested in this
    product. Why do you think he is?

    Mike Kohary, Jan 25, 2005
  20. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    Who, "me", or "Joe S"? If I had a life, I would withdraw from this silly
    thread! :)

    Lunaray, Jan 25, 2005