Lightroom - sharpening, and customization

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by spacemarine, Apr 9, 2007.

  1. spacemarine

    spacemarine Guest

    hey folks,

    ive read some of the other posts related to this, but im still trying
    to figure it out.

    currently im using Bridge to manipulate my images, open them in PS for
    added details such as unsharp mask, and then Save For Web. its ok. but
    it seems sorta clunky at times, and ive never really loved Bridge.

    ive played around w/ lightroom.. i think i could like its cataloging
    system, similar to itunes. i think i could start using its keywords
    and metadata. i think i could like using its Import process to
    automatically monitor folders & apply basic tweaks (capture
    sharpening, contrast). and lastly, i think could like using its Export
    process, for spitting out web-sized image folders for use on my home-
    grown gallery site.

    only thing that seems missing from work flow.. output sharpening! i
    dont see where i can apply post-resize sharpening to the output files
    of an export. i do see there is an "Export Actions" section under
    "Post-Processing", and it would appear one could write custom actions
    for it; but after the file save.

    w/o on-export output sharpening, i still have to use PS to apply
    sharpening & re-save the JPGs, which id prefer to avoid.

    side note -- i had read that LR was going to support a plugin
    architecture. anyone know about this? i like the idea behind
    PixelGenius' PS sharpening plugins (http://tinyurl.com/33l34z), but
    that still requires going into PS and using actions & automation. and
    if im doing that, why even use LR's export? it would be sweet if i
    could write LR actions that used plugins for say capture-sharpening
    and output-sharpening. this way you could use one app (LR) to do
    *most* of your hum-drum gallery publishing.. then use PS for your
    artistic exceptions...

    any thoughts?

    spacemarine, Apr 9, 2007

  2. spacemarine

    spacemarine Guest

    on LR actions, i just found this on the adobe forum:

    "And currently you can set up an action in PS, turn it into a droplet,
    and put that in the LR Export Actions folder. I use one for additional
    sharpening and converting to greyscale."

    but then theres this:

    "No LR doesn't support Photoshop Plug-ins or Automate plug-ins. New
    modules from third parties will be possible at some future time. Adobe
    has to get the SDK (Software Development Kit) out so that third
    parties know what to do. But, Photoshop Plug-ins will never be
    supported, neither will actions or Scripts from Photoshop."

    i actually think its a bit of both.. heres how you can do the droplet:

    http://tinyurl.com/2gu9de

    ....however, that is still a serious hack work-around, since it works
    only on one image at a time, and it prevents other use of the auto-
    import functionality.

    spacemarine, Apr 9, 2007

  3. I'd go by the top quote. I know the author, and additionally know that
    he uses Smart Sharpen from PS CS3. He runs a batch Export of sRGB images
    that invoke the droplet that brings in sharpening via PS.

    And it's very reasonable to expect that LR will both improve greatly on
    sharpening within it, as well as support third party plugins.

    John McWilliams, Apr 10, 2007
  4. spacemarine

    spacemarine Guest

    I'd go by the top quote. I know the author,

    hah...
    well, yes & no. true it is version 1.0, and things always get better.
    but, this is also a $400 program -- it should do its job *now*, rather
    than waiting for future versions (which they will, undoubtedly, charge
    for). and output sharpening is definitely something thats always been
    on everyone's radar -- its need shouldnt have come as a surprise to
    the developers that we'd like to, you know, sharpen our pics prior to
    publishing.

    thanks!

    spacemarine, Apr 10, 2007
  5. spacemarine

    spacemarine Guest

    sorry, can you clarify -- a batch export from LR, that make use of the
    droplet as an LR action?

    thanks
    sm

    spacemarine, Apr 10, 2007
  6. Yes.

    John McWilliams, Apr 10, 2007
  7. spacemarine

    =\(8\) Guest

    There is output sharpening, you just have to scroll the panels down far
    enough to get to it. It is of course in the printing module only.

    =(8)

    =\(8\), Apr 10, 2007
  8. spacemarine

    spacemarine Guest

    cool. ill try that.

    thanks

    spacemarine, Apr 12, 2007
  9. spacemarine

    spacemarine Guest

    john, thanks for the tip. ive hadnt used droplets before, so i learned
    something new. cool.

    can you tell me what sort of settings you use in the creation of your
    action & droplet, when it comes to file saving? for instance, do you
    put a save step in your action? closing the file? in the droplet, do
    you use the Suppress Save Dialog? and when it comes to JPEG
    compression, what slider setting do you use in the LR export dialog,
    vs the PS slider option?

    also, just so im clear -- using a droplet in this fashion still
    results in two (destructive) file saves, no? (one in LR, one in PS)

    thanks!
    sm

    spacemarine, Apr 16, 2007
  10. spacemarine

    spacemarine Guest

    oh, forgot to also ask -- ive typically used only unsharp masks. any
    tips for Smart Sharpen?

    thanks!

    spacemarine, Apr 16, 2007