Lightroom and Aperture, shared library?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, May 14, 2014.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    So, before I start testing, perhaps someone knows. Maybe not about
    Aperture, but Lightroom at least.

    So I currently have some 300GB of images in my Aperture library, which is
    "managed", meaning it is kept inside a special Aperture library folder.

    Now, if I were to transform this to a referenced library, I would get a
    neat folder system on the hard drive. I have no need for this specifically,
    but I am hoping that it would enable me to use more than just Aperture to
    access and edit the files.

    The question is - can Lightroom (and Aperture) auto-add files it finds in a
    given path? Let's say I have Aperture export all my images to
    /Volumes/Photos/Library, and then I tell Lightroom to import the images
    from this path.

    The idea is that from that point on, I would use either Aperture or
    Lightroom to import images from the camera (or another tool) and the ideal
    situation is for Lightroom to auto-import new images it find in
    /Volumes/Photos/Library when starting up, or would i have to manually
    import all photos in both applications?

    Any ideas?

    Sandman, May 14, 2014

  2. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    you're not supposed to be poking around inside a managed library which
    is why it's a package and not a folder. if you want direct access, do
    not use a managed library.

    in any event, if you want the original photos, simply drag them out of
    the iphoto window to wherever you want. or select reveal in finder to
    show the photo. let the computer do the work in finding it for you. i
    assume aperture works the same way but i don't have aperture to test.

    if you want direct access to the photos, then set iphoto or aperture to
    not manage the library and the photos will remain wherever you want and
    arranged however you want, including on a server. iphoto or aperture
    will manage links to the photos rather than the actual photos, and most
    of the time, it can find the photos if they are moved.

    in the latter case, you could also use lightroom pointed at the same
    hierarchy of photos, but the edits will not transfer.

    there's no real advantage in using two asset managers. pick one and
    stick with it.

    Guest, May 14, 2014

  3. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    then turn it off.

    you don't have to have iphoto manage your photos if you don't want it
    to.
    i did follow it. the part you got wrong is that you can set iphoto to
    not manage the library and then the photos can be wherever you want,
    arranged in any way you want. iphoto will still manage the content, but
    via links to the photos.

    the choice is up to the user.
    and even if he's not a subscriber.

    lightroom is definitely the better product.

    aperture is not worth bothering with. it hasn't been updated in a long
    time and many people think it's a dead product. apple is also slower to
    update for new cameras.

    adobe's raw support is also much better than apple's and if someone
    wants to use photoshop with their asset manager, then lightroom is the
    best choice as its integration is seamless.

    on the other hand, iphoto and aperture integrate well with idevices,
    which lightroom does not do. however, that can be worked around.
    as have i.

    Guest, May 14, 2014
  4. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    You don't read what others write do you?[/QUOTE]

    yes i do. do you?

    this is what you wrote:

    the reason you cite for not using iphoto can be easily changed with one
    checkbox.

    if you don't want iphoto to manage your photo library for you, then
    tell it not to and it won't. it will then work the way lightroom does.

    it is possible to use both, it just does not make much sense.
    you're basing your opinion on what iphoto does based on a version from
    over ten years ago?

    i'm pretty sure that predated when apple added the ability for iphoto
    to leave photos where they are, it's that long ago.
    by not using the app at all?? that's not a fix.

    as i said, iphoto can be used without it moving, rearranging or
    renaming photos. it's just one checkbox:

    <http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/TS3124/TS31
    24_01----.png>

    with that *unchecked*, the photos are tracked where they currently are,
    much like how lightroom does it.

    when iphoto is configured that way, then both iphoto (or aperture) can
    be used with lightroom, but the question then becomes what problem is
    this trying to solve?? they won't see each others edits so there really
    is not much point in it.
    he could, but again, there's no real reason.

    syncing with idevices is about the only reason, but it won't see the
    edits done in lightroom so there really isn't much point.

    what can be done is export the finished photos from lightroom and then
    import them in iphoto and then sync the idevice. that works well, and
    it also does not matter how the photo library is managed either since
    iphoto is tracking what gets exported.

    Guest, May 15, 2014
  5. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    You misunderstood. I am talking about a scenario where I transform my
    Aperture library *from* managed to referenced. After doing that, all photos
    would be kept in a file/folder hierarchy at some place, and not in the
    "Aperture library".

    That's why I said "/Volumes/Photos/Library", whcih would be the source
    folder for all photos.

    My question concerned the issue of auto-adding files in this hierarchy. So
    if I insert my memory card and then open Aperture to import the images,
    they would end up in the aforementioned directory (and not in the APerture
    library), but my question is - if I were then to open Lightroom, could it
    be set to auto-detect that new images had been added to the aforementioned
    path and add them to its library - also referenced?

    Sandman, May 15, 2014
  6. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Hmm, ok, neither of those are automatic, Mr Duck. I am talking about a
    scenario where I have a folder of, say 100 photos. I open LR and set the
    referenced path to that folder and LR imports all 100 photos. Done.

    *Then* I add 50 more photos to the folder, without using LR, and the next
    time I open LR, I want to have LR automatically detect that there are new
    photos in the folder and add them to its referenced library.
    Why? I like Aperture and want to keep using it. The reason I'm asking is
    that LR has some functionality I want to use occasionally, not all the
    time. But if I'm forced to manually add all the photos to LR, then I won't.

    Sandman, May 15, 2014
  7. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    I'm pretty sure iPhoto always had the option of using referenced images, actually

    Sandman, May 15, 2014
  8. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    it did not.

    it was added at some point, but i don't remember which version.

    aperture always did, though.

    Guest, May 15, 2014
  9. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    it's the normal way to do it. have you not seen the photos tab in
    itunes? choose the photos and sync, no additional app required.
    his fix was dumping the app. that's not a fix.

    Guest, May 15, 2014