    James Guest

    what type of light can i use that will alow me to take photos of polished
    rock. the surface of which is quite reflective.

    James, Jun 11, 2004

  2. James

    Sandy Guest

    Looks like you've got a candidate for indirect lighting, that is lighting
    bounced off a reflector (a sheet, a wall, etc) instead of bounding off the
    polished stone directly into the camera lens.

    Sandy, Jun 11, 2004

  3. James

    James Guest

    what kind of light do you think i should use. and what kind of sheet or
    material should i bounce if off of?

    James, Jun 11, 2004
  4. James

    Bob Hatch Guest

    Here ya go.
    http://www.ezcube.com/

    Bob Hatch, Jun 11, 2004
  5. James

    Robertwgross Guest

    One solution that I have used applies white foamboard. Build it into an
    open-top box, say one foot across. Put your sample on a piece of black velvet
    fabric and then surround it with the box. Aim one or two lights into it, and
    they will bounce their light all around. I use Canon flash units, but you could
    just as easily use hot lights or anything if you are able to white balance.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Take it outside on a cloudy day...put it in the shade if you can see any.
    That will help with most of the reflections....light on cloudy days is
    indirect and filtered. If you still have to remove more reflections try a
    polarizer filter. If you still see yourself...staple velvet to a sheet of
    cardboard...cut a small hole from which to shoot.

    Gene Palmiter, Jun 11, 2004
  7. James

    RSD99 Guest

    RSD99, Jun 11, 2004
  8. James

    gsum Guest

    As an alternative to photography, small pieces of polished rock can
    be scanned. With a good quality flatbed, you have the equivalent of
    quite a powerful microscope, if you want plenty of detail. Polarising
    filters can be used to great effect.

    Graham

    gsum, Jun 11, 2004
  9. James

    Ken Hall Guest

    Ken Hall, Jun 11, 2004
  10. Rule of thumb, all your lighting should be equaly `sharp'.
    The more specular the subject, the flatter the lights, difuse
    subject, smaller more directional lights.

    The other way for this sort of thing is crossed polarizers, but with
    rock the objective polarizer may act as an analizer and throw your
    colours way off.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.