    equipment state that the seller has "switched to digital". So, what is
    everybody doing for lighting for dslrs in low light conditions?

    George

    George, Feb 26, 2004

  2. George

    Steph Guest

    Cranking up the ISO to 800 or 1600?

    Steph, Feb 26, 2004

  3. George

    gsum Guest

    f2.8 + ISO 800 (or more) = not much need for flash

    gsum, Feb 26, 2004
  4. George

    zeitgeist Guest

    maybe they are quaking in fear, a fear prompted by the makers, that anything
    off brand COULD WOULD SHOULD FRY THAT GOD AWFULLY EXPENSIVE TOY THAT COST
    MORE THAN YOUR CAR INTO AN EMBARRASING PAPERWEIGHT.

    Hey, it worked on me, I bought a 420ex to go with my canon, but I aim it to
    the side to trigger the studio flash or slave flash systems. so my vivitars
    and sunpak sit on a shelf.

    zeitgeist, Feb 26, 2004
  5. George

    George Guest

    I thought everyone was complaining of noise at that speed...

    George, Feb 26, 2004
  6. George

    George Guest

    Having the Vivitar sit on a shelf might not be such a bad idea...I measured
    the sync voltage on my very old Vivitar 283 a couple of days ago and found
    it was 235V. As for your studio strobes (I use 'em too), you can always use
    a Wein Safe Sync (basically a $45-90 device that is nothing more than a $2
    zener diode in a hot shoe/PC sync adapter) or use IR/RF triggers.

    George, Feb 26, 2004
  7. George

    gsum Guest

    The D100 is OK to about ISO 1000. A bit noisy at 1600.

    Graham

    gsum, Feb 26, 2004
  8. George

    Chris Brown Guest

    The current 6 megapixie Canons (10D and 300D) are great at 800 ISO. 1600 is
    probably best described as, "OK".

    Chris Brown, Feb 26, 2004
  9. George

    KBob Guest

    It strikes me as strange also. It can't simply be the open-circuit
    synch voltage issue, since most flashes made in the past 15 years or
    so have been low voltage (even my old Speedo Blackline). Certainly if
    these photographers were using cameras with full-frame sensors, they'd
    be dealing with ASA values, lenses and depth of field considerations
    very similar to film, so that doesn't explain it. It's more probable
    that they are using subframe cameras that require large apertures to
    achieve desired DOF's, and for these it's often necessary to add ND
    filters to bring their light sources into line, and that makes it
    difficult to focus. Also some DSLRs don't have ASA values available
    below about 200, such as the Nikon D100. You will notice that a lot
    of electronic flash units now offer a very wide range of intensities
    to cater to the needs of digital photographers, so that must explain
    it.

    KBob, Feb 26, 2004
  10. George

    Lisa Horton Guest

    I'm going to assume that you're not confusing SCA300 stuff with SCA3000
    :)

    With at least some DSLR's, they are very picky about what flashes they
    will work with, and only support the very latest TTL schemes. Often
    they don't support simple TTL. It seems that Metz is having a bit of
    trouble at the moment keeping up with the changing landscape. They also
    seem like they may be moving away from the SCA system.

    I'm about to sell off my SCA300 compatible Metz gear soon.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Feb 26, 2004
  11. George

    KBob Guest

    Studio flash units are almost always interfaced through the PC sync
    terminal of the camera, or if that's lacking, through a sync adapter
    that mounts on the hot shoe. Since studio flashes do not depend on
    the specific requirements associated with TTL flash metering, the
    flash sync is quite simple. To eliminate the flash-camera wiring
    tangle there are various hot-shoe mounted devices that use either IR,
    ultrasound or RF to link camera and flash.

    To address the concerns regarding high open-circuit voltages that are
    often found to be present on earlier studio flashes (and some
    portables as well), it's usually a good idea to invest in one of the
    small protection devices that limits the voltage to a safe level for
    digital cameras.

    It is indeed disappointing to see that now with each new generation of
    digital camera we seem obligated to buy a new flash in order to
    utilize TTL features. I've decided to stop playing that game, and got
    a Quantum-X flash unit that uses only an internal SCR control or
    manual setting. Experience with a particular flash seems to be just
    as effective and a whole lot cheaper.

    KBob, Feb 27, 2004