Lifeline port to dial 911 with # afterwards ("911#")?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by The J-Man, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. The J-Man

    The J-Man Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to convince a family member to switch to get broadband and
    switch to VoIP for phone service. Right now the road block is concerns
    for E911. I suggested just having an gps-enabled inactive cell phone
    around the house as you can call 911 without a service plan. Their
    concern is that they wouldn't be able to easily grab the cell phone from
    another room of their house or feel confident about fumbling with it
    during an emergency, when they are used to their various extension
    phones around the house. (Yes, I rolled my eyes too.)

    Anyway, I have a gadget that allows you to "dock" the cell phone and
    provides a dial-tone with a regular RJ-11 jack out the back that you can
    hook up regular phones to. You have to dial # after the number, which
    this gadget deems equlivant to pressing the send key. So, instead of
    just "911" you would have to dial "911#" in order for it to place the call.

    I am wondering... I know there are SIP adapters that have hookup to plug
    into your existing POTS phone line so that when 911 is dialed it would
    use the normal line instead of the VoIP. I previously always thought the
    idea was lame because if I have VoIP why would I keep paying for the
    land line?! Well anyway, it occurred to me that maybe I could hook the
    cellular POTS adapter up to this POTS jack on the back of the device so
    that 911 calls would be made through the cell phone instead of the VoIP,
    while still not needing a real land line.

    Does anybody know if any of these devices can be configured to recognize
    the user dialing "911" and then place a call to "911#" off that lifeline
    port on the back? That is, can you configure it to add the trailing #
    sign after you dial "911"? What if you dial "911#"? Would the # confuse
    the device such that it doesn't try to use the land line port?

    Thanks,

    J-Man

    The J-Man, Jan 7, 2006

  2. The J-Man

    Rick Merrill Guest

    You acknowledged that a senior citizen may want to keep everything just
    the way they have it for their own comfort level.

    You do not mention that a VOIP system must have it's own power backup,
    whereas the land line has it's own backup power supply.

    In this situation the simplest solution will be the best one and the one
    most likely to work when needed because it is hard to test a 911 setup.

    Rick Merrill, Jan 9, 2006