    grinch Guest

    Try the three.co.uk ,that is what my mobile uses.If its wrong you wont
    break anything,it just wont work.

    grinch, May 3, 2014

  2. Harry Stottle, May 3, 2014

  3. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Roger Mills, May 3, 2014
  4. 3internet is the mobile broadband APN. You should get a global IP address.

    three.co.uk is the phones APN. You're behind carrier grade NAT. OTOH
    'phone' features (like balance on mobile.three.co.uk without login, phone
    addons, Skype on Three) only work on this APN.

    Or that's how it was some years ago.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, May 3, 2014
  5. That's still it.

    Brian Gregory, May 3, 2014
  6. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Thanks for the clarification. The Huawei E5332 Mobile WiFi certainly
    ain't a phone - and I don't want to do 'phoney' things with it - just
    use it for internet access for tablets and laptops. The 3internet APN
    certainly worked ok with the Samba SIM so, contrary to what I had
    concluded above, it looks as if this is the best one to use with the '3'
    PAYG Mobile Broadband SIM.

    If I adopt the principle of buying pre-loaded SIMs (for as long as they
    remain available to £2.99) and then chucking them away and using a new
    one when they expire ('cos it's cheaper than buying add-ons!) is it fair
    to assume that they should just *work* straight out of the box without
    any need to register or activate them? [The only downside of that would
    appear to be that I wouldn't have a 'My3' account to tell me how much
    data I had left - but since I can't see myself using anything like 1GB
    in a month, that shouldn't really matter].
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, May 4, 2014
  7. Roger Mills

    Roland Perry Guest

    That's always worked for me. It would appear that the first time the
    network "sees" a virgin SIM then the clock starts ticking, without any
    action from the user. As these SIMs are very often used in dongles,
    which have no keyboard or screen, it's the only practical way to arrange
    things.

    Roland Perry, May 4, 2014
  8. Roger Mills

    Nick Guest

    What do you mean tethering? I have android and use my Tesco Mobile phone
    to create a "Mobile WiFi Hotspot" so that my pad can use my phone's
    internet connection.

    If Tesco Mobile didn't want me to do this they should have made a
    greater effort to bring it to my attention. I don't see how they would
    enforce it anyway.

    PS. I only read this cos I thought it meant Samba (SMB) mounting Windows
    disks on Unix.

    Nick, May 4, 2014
  9. Roger Mills

    Woody Guest

    Whether your phone is acting as a wired connected modem or
    as a wi-fi hotspot (still a modem but by radio link) it is
    still tethering. I quote from their T's & C's re Data
    Bundles:

    Data Bundle
    Data allowance can be used on GPRS and 3G networks (as
    applicable to your handset), for your private, personal and
    non-commercial internet use via your mobile phone whilst you
    are in the UK. The Data Bundle is not valid whilst roaming.

    Your Tesco Mobile SIM is only designed to be used with a
    mobile phone for standard consumer usage. You must not use
    your Tesco Mobile SIM with a mobile data modem, tethering or
    in any other way that we may reasonably consider would
    adversely impact the service to other Tesco Mobile
    customers.

    If we reasonably believe you have breached these terms, we
    reserve the right to, having attempted to contact you first,
    impose network protection which may reduce your speed;
    remove the relevant Bundle(s) from your account; impose
    further charges; remove your ability to use data on your SIM
    card; and/or disconnect your SIM card at any time.

    We reserve the right to use appropriate traffic shaping or
    throttling measures to protect our network from types of
    data usage which we think might impact on levels of service
    for customers at specific times or day and / or in specific
    locations.

    Seems perfectly clear to me. O2 (on which Tesco Mobile
    operates) permit tethering on certain plans: GiffGaff, also
    on and owned by O2, allow tethering on GoodyBags up to £10/m
    or DataBags up to £12/m.

    Woody, May 4, 2014
  10. Roger Mills

    Nick Guest

    I'm using the SIM with the device (Android Phone) Tesco sold me as a
    package.

    It is hard to see from your response what is their T&C and what is you spin.

    Looking at their website

    <http://www.tescomobile.com/about-us/terms-and-conditions/pay-as-you-go/bundle-terms-conditions>

    I see no mention of tethering. If we follow what I believe is your
    interpretation that my android phone is a data modem, then I would
    consider it to be unfair terms and conditions to sell me a packaged
    combination of SIM and Data Modem which is prohibited in their terms and
    conditions.

    Nick, May 4, 2014
  11. Roger Mills

    Woody Guest

    Sorry about that. When I cut and pasted it the paste was in
    a different font and size, but somehwo OE has changed it to
    the default.

    The quote starts at
    Data Bundle
    Data allowance can be used.....

    and ends at
    .... and /or at specific locations.

    The bit that says you cannot tether is the whole of the
    second paragraph. They sold you a package with data for you
    to use on a smartphone, not for it to be used for 'external'
    purposes. The reasoning is that a smartphone will,
    realistically, use relatively little data compared with what
    a laptop or tablet could do using the phone as a modem per
    unit time. The data feed is contended so if one user hogs it
    the availability to other users becomes a problem.

    Add to that that, as a GiffGaff user, it appears to me that
    O2 have less 3G and higher contention that any other SP.

    Woody, May 4, 2014
  12. Roger Mills

    Nick Guest

    What you quoted is not what the official Tesco Mobile web site url I
    quoted says.

    I'll quote them again for you

    <http://www.tescomobile.com/about-us/terms-and-conditions/pay-as-you-go/bundle-terms-conditions>

    I don't know where you got your quote from?

    Surely the data bundle monthly limit is designed to stop one user hogging.

    Nick, May 4, 2014
  13. Roger Mills

    Woody Guest

    This is the page:

    http://www.tescomobile.com/about-us/terms-and-conditions/pay-as-you-go/bundle-terms-conditions

    Funnily enough it is the same as yours - scroll down to the
    Data Bundle heading. Whilst I admit it does not use the word
    tethering (as it appears it used to) it does refer to use of
    a data modem - which is the function of your phone if it is
    tethered, not just a USB thingy.

    I don't think you would have a very good case to argue over
    wording - unless you were in Court!

    Woody, May 4, 2014
  14. Roger Mills

    Mark Carver Guest

    Mark Carver, May 27, 2014
  15. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Looks ok if you need a lot of mobile data. 10GB would last me for ever -
    except that it expires in 90 days!

    It appears to be 4G - would it work in a 3G device?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, May 27, 2014
  16. Roger Mills

    Mark Carver Guest

    Yep, works in my 3G device

    Mark Carver, May 27, 2014
  17. I've since purchased one too and I'm getting decent 4G connectivity
    through my Nexus 7.

    Plusnet Support Team, Jun 11, 2014
  18. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I wanted to say a big thankyou for
    that bit of information - it saved me a lot of head scratching![1]

    I've just started using - in my Huawei Mobile Wifi device - the first of
    a big heap of 3 Mobile Data SIMs (1GB/30 days) which I bought from
    Currys when they were 3 quid each (they're a lot more now!)

    I wanted to know how to find out how much allowance I have left and what
    the expiry date is - without having to register the SIM. Your almost
    4-month-old post provided the answer!

    Following your advice, I normally use an APN of 3internet for normal
    internet access - but by temporarily changing this to three.co.uk and
    then going to three.co.uk/Support/Mobil_Broadband and selecting My3
    Account and then Data Allowance I can find the remaining allowance and
    expiry date without any need to register or log on.

    Just what the doctor ordered - many thanks!

    [1] before re-checking this old thread I had the idea of transferring
    the SIM to my '3' phone and then dialling 444 in the hope that it would
    tell me what I wanted to know. Dismal failure! All it told me was that
    my remaining balance was no pounds and no pence - nothing at all about
    data allowance!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger