  1. Roger Mills

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <>, at
    15:42:01 on Tue, 29 Apr 2014, Harry Bloomfield
    It's more likely to be the case that the advertising didn't in fact earn
    as much as they were expecting, and the accrued 'credit' was illusory.

    Roland Perry, Apr 29, 2014

  2. Roland Perry wrote :
    I cannot see how...

    You watch an ad, Samba get paid and you earn data credit which would be
    charged against Samba.

    It only goes wrong if the advertisers don't pay and all they have said
    is negotiations broke down between Samba and 3 over data costs for the
    future. Surely all those who had already earned credit, ought to have
    been paid for? Instead, they got paid for the ads watched and just kept
    all of the value of the unused data credit. Good trick.

    Harry Bloomfield, Apr 29, 2014

  3. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Yes, they are - for not for home delivery, only for store collection. I
    went to my local branch, and they denied that they even existed! Anyway,
    I've now reserved one for collection from another branch when I'm in
    that vicinity tomorrow.

    Yes, there are plenty of on-line outfits offering the 1G/30 day SIM for
    prices between 10 and 15 GBP as opposed to Currys' £3.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 29, 2014
  4. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    It may just be that they didn't hit the projected volume built into
    their business model. They'd have certain overheads to meet regardless
    of whether they had one customer or a million.

    They had lots of promotions where they were giving double or treble
    credit - which sounded a bit desperate to me, and I doubt that they got
    extra revenue from the advertisers for this.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 29, 2014
  5. I've tried Giffgaff twice, maybe I was unlucky but both times I found
    their network slow and unreliable compared to Three. Once it was
    unusable for most of the day (as was O2, it was widely reported in the
    news).

    Plus they have a annoying policy regarding SMS delivery reports.

    Brian Gregory, Apr 30, 2014
  6. Brian Gregory, Apr 30, 2014
  7. Roger Mills

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <>, at
    20:21:24 on Tue, 29 Apr 2014, Harry Bloomfield
    Or don't pay enough. Or if more people actually cashed-in their data
    credit than was expected.
    Are you sure they haven't spent it all on providing the service and
    paying "3" for data up until this week?

    Roland Perry, Apr 30, 2014
  8. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Sorry! Should have said "Samba Mobile".
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 30, 2014
  9. Brian Gregory explained on 30/04/2014 :
    Giffgaff is the one I'm currently using for my Iphone, having switched
    from O2 a month back. GG uses the O2 network. The sim works in my
    Dongle too for data, so I was considering getting a second one for the
    dongle PAYG.

    Samba via 3, has worked better/faster than any other sim I have had
    previously, coverage did seem better too.

    Harry Bloomfield, Apr 30, 2014
  10. Roger Mills formulated on Tuesday :
    The double/triple credit was rare, limited to a very few advertisers
    and only the actual members would likely be aware of it via Sambas
    emails, so it didn't seem it was used to bring in new customers - it
    seemed it was used simply as a bonus to the members.

    Harry Bloomfield, Apr 30, 2014
  11. Yes.

    If you have reasonable O2 coverage then GiffGaff deserves a worthy look.
    Don't bother with their PAYG bit just get the bolt-on "goody bag" (set
    up to renew monthly by card)

    You can get 1GB of data for £10 a month or for something a little more
    "hardcore" there's "unlimited" data in the form of a £12 goodybag.
    http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

    Set up a VOIP account with VOIPCheap.co.uk (or betamax clone of your
    choice) which gives you completely free calls to geographic landline
    numbers and calls to any UK mobile network for a few pennies per minute.
    (120 free days everytime you top up by £10) PLUS you can set up caller
    I.D. for multiple devices on the same account. I have 3 mobiles and 2
    landlines all using the same account for home and work and still only
    top-up by £10 every 3 months or so (auto top-up activated). Run the same
    app set up with same log-in user name etc on every device and everyone
    gets free (or incredibly cheap) calls and texts etc.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=finarea.MobileVoip

    For tethering simply run FoxFi app on the connected device
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi

    Hot-spot without officially "tethering" ;¬)

    Of course..... if you have appalling O2 coverage you'll be looking at
    more expensive options and BEWARE as some notwork suppliers block VOIP
    calls to force you to make "real" mobile calls at BIG / minute prices!

    HTH
    [email protected]

    :¬)

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Apr 30, 2014
  12. Roger Mills

    Woody Guest

    [snip]

    Beware. GG only allow tethering on the £5, £7.50, and £10
    GoodyBags. Any attempt at larger GBs are (supposedly)
    blocked. But as said elsewhere, get out of major urban areas
    and O2 3G is very thin on the ground.

    Woody, Apr 30, 2014
  13. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    I imagine that it was designed to encourage people to watch more adverts
    so that Samba could get paid more by the advertisers to help their
    cashflow - regardless of the fact that it was also creating a liability
    for them!

    I reckon that a significant amount of my earned 'credit' was obtained
    during their double/triple periods, since it greatly reduced the amount
    of time I had to waste pretending to watch the adverts!

    I wonder whether there was any way of measuring how much business was
    generated for the advertisers as a result of people "watching" the ads.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 30, 2014
  14. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Right, I've now got my SIM. Turns out the one they had reserved for me
    was a Micro-SIM but I needed a standard one for my Huawei Mobile WiFi.
    After much circular redirection from one counter to another, I
    eventually found someone who knew where the other SIMs were kept!

    So, it apparently has 1GB of data and can be used until that has all
    gone or until 30 days from first use - whichever occurs first. If I
    correctly understand the booklet which came with it, when the pre-loaded
    data expires, I can buy a top up and can use some of that to buy various
    add-ons - by the day, week or month. What it *doesn't* say, is how much
    these add-ons cost.

    Does anyone know the answer - or know where to find this info?

    Since I only want to use it occasionally, buying add-ons by the day -
    provided it's fairly cheap and provided the unused top-up doesn't expire
    in the meantime - could be the way to go.

    As a belt and braces approach, I also have a free MobiData SIM on order,
    but that sounds less attractive. AIUI, I have to provide credit card
    details before I can actuate it and get my free 100k for a couple of
    months, and it will then cost me a fiver a month for a gigabyte of data
    only a fraction of which I actually need.[1] I don't know whether I can
    use the free stuff and then cancel before the monthly charges start - I
    shall have to read the small print when it arrives.

    [1] provided they're still available, I'd be better off buying a job lot
    of £3 1G SIMs from Currys, and using each one for a month from when I
    first need to use it. Or, if the add-ons are fairly cheap, that might be
    better still.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 30, 2014
  15. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Many thanks for your response. I can see that this would suit many
    people very well, but doesn't really fit the bill for my requirement.

    I'm usually within range of a landline phone with an 'anytime' call
    package, and within range of a domestic WiFi to provide internet access
    for my laptop and tablet. So my need for mobile internet is only
    occasional.[1] I have a '3' PAYG mobile phone (not smart-phone) on which
    I can make the occasional call for 3ppm when away from a landline phone.
    So I really don't need something which costs 10 or 12 pounds per month -
    even if it does bring other goodies with it.

    But I'm sure that your reply will be of great interest to other people.

    [1] Examples being (all of which are infrequent):
    * Monitoring flight information when meeting someone at an airport
    * Monitoring traffic information when on a long car journey
    * General internet access when staying in the likes of a Travelodge

    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 30, 2014
  16. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    To answer my own question - and I really had to trawl the '3' site to
    find it:

    It seems that a 1GB add-on costs £10 and lasts for 30 days.

    A 'one day' add-on costs £2.99 and includes 500MB of data. [It lasts
    until midnight on the day *after* purchase, so you can get nearly 2
    day's worth if you buy it early on day 1]

    Makes the 1G 30 day SIM look like a bargain at £2.99 doesn't it? I think
    I'd better stock up! Throwing it away and getting a new one when it
    expires is clearly better than topping it up.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 30, 2014
  17. Roger Mills

    Brian Mc Guest

    : To answer my own question - and I really had to trawl the '3' site to
    : find it:

    : It seems that a 1GB add-on costs £10 and lasts for 30 days.

    : A 'one day' add-on costs £2.99 and includes 500MB of data. [It lasts
    : until midnight on the day *after* purchase, so you can get nearly 2
    : day's worth if you buy it early on day 1]

    : Makes the 1G 30 day SIM look like a bargain at £2.99 doesn't it? I think
    : I'd better stock up! Throwing it away and getting a new one when it
    : expires is clearly better than topping it up.

    When 3Gb SIMs could be obtained at "good" prices (~£10 from eBay or Amazon)
    it was defintely worth just throwing it away when its time and/or data
    ran out!

    I have a few 1Gb SIMs ready to go - when needed - at home. AFAIK there is no
    date they must be used before (and the charging only starts on first use)

    Brian Mc, May 1, 2014
  18. Roger Mills

    Mark Undrill Guest

    Don't forget GiffGaff GigaBags. They offer data only at £5, £7.50 and
    £12.50 giving 0.5, 1.0 and 3.0 GB respectively. See
    http://giffgaff.com/gigabags

    Mark Undrill, May 1, 2014
  19. Roger Mills

    Woody Guest

    Er, no. You can only tether on pay monthly plans with a
    tethering add-on, not on SIM-only plans.

    Woody, May 1, 2014
  20. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Does anyone know what APN I need to use in order to use a '3' Mobile
    Broadband PAYG SIM in my Huawei mobile WiFi device?

    3's website doesn't provide a lot of help! It seems to assume that
    you'll use a USB-connected dongle and will configure it via their
    3Connect software dashboard or that you'll use one of their MiFi
    devices, pre-configured to work on the '3' network. But I'm using an
    unlocked mobile Wifi device which is *not* pre-configured.

    When I was using the (now defunct) Samba SIM - which was on the '3'
    network - the APN was set to 3internet.

    I currently have a MobiData SIM in it (which AIUI also uses the '3'
    network) - and that uses an APN of mbb.voiamo.net

    I believe that some '3' devices use an APN of three.co.uk - and ISTR
    some discussion in the past about three.co.uk vs 3internet

    Can someone please remind me of the relative merits/uses of these two
    APNs, and whether it matters which one I use.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, May 3, 2014