Life after Samba

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Roger Mills, Apr 28, 2014.

  1. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    As many people will know, Samba went down the tubes today.

    In case you hadn't heard of it, this was a service which provided free
    mobile internet bandwidth which you "earned" by watching adverts on
    their site. The advertisers paid them for every advert you watched, and
    they used the money to buy bandwidth from '3'.

    It sounded too good to be true, but it lasted for longer than I expected
    - but has now finally bitten the dust. Shame about the 700MB of credit
    which I had built up.

    OK, that's the past - what of the future?

    It's very unlikely that there will be a free replacement, but I'm now
    looking for a data SIM which is fairly cheap, can be used in a mobile
    WiFi device to provide internet access to other devices (PCs and
    WiFi-only tablets), is on a network with good coverage, and whose data
    allowance doesn't expire too soon - preferably not at all.

    Anyone got any recommendations? Something like a '3' 3-2-1 PAYG SIM
    would be ideal from a cost point of view - with the ability to top up
    with non-expiring credit, and then get data at 1p per MB. But I suspect
    that using it in a mobile WiFi device would be classed as tethering -
    which is almost certainly not allowed.

    So what else is there, with similar pricing and flexibility but without
    any restrictions on tethering?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 28, 2014

  2. Roger Mills

    Andy Burns Guest

    I don't mean to sound harsh, but is a paying a tenner a month for 1GB of
    data really too much? They'll* even throw in several thousand text
    messages and a whole day's worth of voice calls :)

    [*] Tesco.

    Andy Burns, Apr 29, 2014

  3. Roger Mills

    Andrew Guest

    "Andy Burns" wrote in message

    I don't mean to sound harsh, but is a paying a tenner a month for 1GB of
    data really too much? They'll* even throw in several thousand text
    messages and a whole day's worth of voice calls :)

    [*] Tesco.

    Does Tesco mobile allow tethering? I can't find any mention on their web
    site, either allowing or prohibiting tethering.

    Andrew, Apr 29, 2014
  4. Roger Mills

    Bob Eager Guest

    Giffgaff. A tenner a month for 1GB, 500 minutes and unlimited texts.
    Tethering is allowed on this tariff (which is the £10 goodybag); it isn't
    allowed on 'unlimited data' goodybags.

    Bob Eager, Apr 29, 2014
  5. Roger Mills

    Pete Forman Guest

    MobiData charge just under £5 for 1 GB / month on a 1 month rolling
    contract.

    http://mobi-data.co.uk/plans-and-pricing.php

    Pete Forman, Apr 29, 2014
  6. Roger Mills

    Andy Burns Guest

    Well, they certainly don't prevent it, which is all I care really. I
    used nearly 11GB of data in my first month with 4G, a large chunk of
    that was my laptop tethered to the phone downloading Windows 8.1 or
    streaming iPlayer HD "for the hell of it".
    That's pretty good, also 2GB/month for the same price on a 90 day
    contract, presumably they use Three?

    Andy Burns, Apr 29, 2014
  7. Roger Mills

    Brian Mc Guest

    : I don't mean to sound harsh, but is a paying a tenner a month for 1GB of
    : data really too much? They'll* even throw in several thousand text
    : messages and a whole day's worth of voice calls :)

    Samba had the advantage (for tablets and Mifi anyway) or NOT allowing text
    or voice calls!

    I, for one, would not want to use a mobile broadband SIM for anything else.

    To answer the OP Currys/PC World were recently (and possibly still are!) selling
    "3" PAYG mobile broadband SIMs (the 1Gb/1month ones) for 2.99pounds.

    Brian Mc, Apr 29, 2014
  8. Roger Mills

    Woody Guest

    Any idea which infrastructure Pete?

    Woody, Apr 29, 2014
  9. Roger Mills

    me Guest

    Tesco mobile do not allow tethering, I asked.

    me, Apr 29, 2014
  10. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Yes. I only want it for occasional use so that I can use my tablet when
    away from home WiFi, etc. I don't need anything like 1GB per month -
    which was why Samba was so good. The 700MB credit which I had earned
    would have lasted me for several months.
    That's of no interest. I don't want it for a phone - I want it for my
    MiFi-type device.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 29, 2014
  11. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Thanks - I'll have a look. But I don't really want a contract - I just
    want to be able to buy an amount of data, which I can keep using until
    it is all used up - without expiring after 30 days or whatever.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 29, 2014
  12. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Sounds promising - I'll take a look.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 29, 2014
  13. Roger Mills

    Woody Guest

    Interesting. As I recall O2 do not permit tethering but
    GiffGaff - on the same infrastructure - permit users paying
    up to £10/m to do so.

    Woody, Apr 29, 2014
  14. Roger Mills

    Brian Mc Guest

    : Interesting. As I recall O2 do not permit tethering but
    : GiffGaff - on the same infrastructure - permit users paying
    : up to ?10/m to do so.

    ALL the mobile companies seem desperate to avoid any unlimited tethering as
    they have realised that too many people might want to use them as a
    replacement for a landline broadband service - which their capacity won't
    cope with!

    3 used to offer "unlimited data including tethering" on some contracts -
    but no longer!

    GiffGaff do allow tethering on limited data GoodyBags.

    Brian Mc, Apr 29, 2014
  15. Roger Mills

    Roland Perry Guest

    Does anyone do that any more? Vodafone had a dongle-SIM which had that
    property, but they terminated them all earlier this year.

    They didn't even let people use them until the (£15/GB) credit ran out!
    The gentlemanly thing to would have been to suspend the ability to top
    them up, which would have flushed all of them from the system
    eventually.

    Roland Perry, Apr 29, 2014
  16. Roger Mills

    Brian Mc Guest

    : > "3" PAYG mobile broadband SIMs (the 1Gb/1month ones) for 2.99pounds.
    : >

    : Sounds promising - I'll take a look.

    Seem to be still listed on the currys.co.uk website!

    It USED to be possible to get the 3Gb/90 days 3 PAYG broadband SIMs for
    10-12pounds on eBay - but the prices have gone up in recent months!

    Brian Mc, Apr 29, 2014
  17. On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 12:28:01 +0000 (UTC)
    "SIM-only One Plan" still does - you have to buy your own phone though.

    --
    Regards,

    Martin Nicholas.

    E-mail:

    Martin Nicholas, Apr 29, 2014
  18. Roger Mills

    Pete Forman Guest

    It's on 3.

    Pete Forman, Apr 29, 2014
  19. They used to be a similar price on Amazon too.

    I swapped to an 4G/6GB/90 day EE SIM the last time I needed a
    replacement for my tablet. Even that seems to have increased in price
    since I ordered it though -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F2I30OS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    This might be worth a look-in. Seems almost too good to be true -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/10GB-data-y..._sim_ce_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HRPR1NGHX8A12MNN163

    Plusnet Support Team, Apr 29, 2014
  20. Roger Mills formulated on Monday :
    Unfortunately I built up 10Gb with them - I only wanted it for very
    occasional use whilst touring in the caravan. I feel robbed - I earned
    the credit, Samba took their cut and failed to use what I earned them
    to pay for my credit with 3.

    Harry Bloomfield, Apr 29, 2014