    <sitting down>

    Ok, go ahead.

    Neener!!1!!!!!

    Mara, Mar 3, 2006

  2. ;oD....I shoulda wrote: the troll deserves no more than a FOAD..... I
    didn't clarify/express myself very well.....;o\

    @}-}-------Rosee, Mar 4, 2006

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Mara Guest

    No worries. I *am* sitting down now, at least for a bit. <g>

    You ought to see the monstrosity I'm working on right now. Power spike took out
    the motherboard, so I replaced that; damaged the PS, so I replaced that too;
    only to have a hell of a time reinstalling XP on it because the cd-rom's bad
    too. My box has 6 fans in it and sounds like a jet engine, but I can hear the
    cd-rom clicking over it.

    Sometimes, you can't win, you can't break even, and you can't even quit.

    Mara, Mar 4, 2006
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Mitch Guest

    Hah! That's the most insulated, narrow-minded, stupid statement about
    Windows I've read today.
    Windows is COMMON - nothing more. Almost everyone that uses it hasn't
    CHOSEN it -- they simply don't know anything about the alternatives. Or
    they have been told they have only one good choice.
    Suitable? Hardly. As far as I'm concerned, the general public requires
    an OS that they don't have to learn, does everything easily, and
    doesn't get in their way. In other words, foolproof and immensely
    practical. 'Suitable' is the very best that the industry can offer.
    Nothing like Windows is today.
    You say that like the majority of computer users has tried Linux.
    It is clear that the majority has not -- in fact, the numbers look
    extremely low.

    Mitch, Mar 4, 2006
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Mitch Guest

    You know the numbers of Windows users that have used Linux?
    You're making up numbers -- don't do that.
    I dare you to try to justify that claim.
    Always has? How do you justify that statement?

    You sound like a very pro-Windows extremist. In this group, make sense
    or get out. And NEVER make up information.

    Mitch, Mar 4, 2006
  6. Mitch, often people that are gifted in one area, such as typing in
    complicated and bizarre commands into Linux just to complete a simple
    task are deficient in other areas. Area's such as reading
    comprehension. Such as when a person states clearly, as I did, that the
    analogy was just "for arguments sake". Then, someone such as you Mitch,
    decipher that statement as that I was actually quoting real numbers and
    not just made up ones.
    All of this post was purely hypothetical Mitch, again I must point you
    to the reading comprehension problem that some Linux aficionado's seem
    to be plagued with.
    Look around you Mitch, Windows users are everywhere and they are just
    normal people. Regular old, everyday Joe's and Jane's. Now, I know
    some people can't stand that, they would prefer that an operating system
    be extremely complicated and difficult that way only those in their
    little club would be able to use computers.

    Now just how many Linux users are there Mitch? Are they slowly
    overtaking the number of people who use a Windows based system? I
    wouldn't think so Mitch. I don't even think they are remotely close.
    Mitch, you should learn to NEVER demand that anyone do anything in a
    public newsgroup. It makes you look as a complete fool would look,
    which is my whole point.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Mar 4, 2006

  7. I think you are mistaken again Mitch. You just described Windows. That
    is almost a perfect description of Windows. Not foolproof, none really
    are. What in the world does Linux do easily? Everything about Linux is
    steeped in mystic formula's and encrypted, secret, 3 line long commands
    just to complete the most simple task. You consider that easy? See, you
    just are not connected to the regular people of the world, people that
    just need a "simple" OS to do the simple things that they need to have
    done. People that have lives that don't revolve around hours and hours
    and days and days and months and months and years and years spent
    sitting in front of a computer.

    You say that the general public requires an OS that they don't have to
    learn. Again, what planet are you from Mitch, the OS that the general
    public does not have to spend half of their lives learning is? That's
    right, Windows again. I think your whole paragraph got mixed up somehow
    Mitch. Everything you were describing as good in an operating system
    really just applies to Windows, not at all to Linux, I don't know how
    you can even imagine Linux is suitable and easy for everyday folk.
    Exactly my point Mitch. The numbers are very, very low as compared to
    the number of Windows users. And exactly why is that? Oh I know,
    because Microsoft is evil and they planned it all this way. It doesn't
    have not one little thing to do with Windows just being something that
    people feel comfortable with and they don't have to become computer
    zombies just to learn to use.

    The big boss Microsoft is keeping the little man Linux down, it is all
    Microsoft's fault that Linux confuses the hell out of most people. It is
    all evil ole Bill Gates doing that Linux leaves most people just
    scratching their heads and extremely frustrated. But that is not the
    reason Linux has not swept the world like Windows has, it is just
    because Bill likes it that way right? Not because Windows is just the
    best for the most of us, that couldn't possibly have anything at all to
    do with it.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Mar 4, 2006
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Seatoller Guest

    He can't, it's /pure/ speculation on his part.
    He can't, he's trolling. Don't expect him to justify any statement he
    makes, he'll probably bluster, or sidestep the issue altogtether.
    More people/cities & even countries are gradually changing to GNU/linux.
    Berlin is gradually changing their desktops to linux, & Paris too.
    Countries like Brazil & China, which have changed over & are even building
    their own versions of linux now.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03/05/brazil_loves_linux_true/

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3548

    http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2004/tc20040330_6891_tc167.htm

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/11/18/BUGRM34CUC1.DTL

    The last release of OpenSuSE 10.0 attracted 750,000 downloads in it's
    first 6 months, that's 7,000 a day...& that is just downloads, you can add
    bought boxed sets onto that. As you don't need a licence for each machine
    you install it on, you could reckon there are quite a few who have put it
    on more than one machine. I have it on three.
    Those figures (released from OpenSuSE/Novell) are just /one/distro, I
    don't know the figures for Mandriva & RedHat.

    So, gradually MS is begining to lose it's grip on it's worldwide 'monoploy'.
    A M$ shill....maybe.
    Trolls don't care, & will say anything to get a reaction. He hasn't asked
    for help in any linux groups (according to Google), but asks in a group
    like this which (although not /specifically/ for computers, nor is it
    purely a MS newsgroup either) has a majority of MS users, some of which
    will have never heard of GNU/linux nor even realise that there are /other/
    better operating systems than windows. A lot of what he's said is probably
    made up, &/or modified from trawling through linux groups to suit his
    purposes. In fact the only "Lies about Linux" referred to in his 'Subject'
    are the ones /he/ tells.

    Seatoller, Mar 4, 2006
  9. Count Linux is slobbering on its Linux fangs as usual.

    Duane :)

    K-Man hater Duane, Mar 4, 2006
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-04, (Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+) <""> wrote:

    snip
    snip

    Oh No It Isn't!

    Whiskers, Mar 4, 2006
  11. Hi Ho Linux and the tramp is loose with Sea-Cream dripping.

    Duane :)

    K-Man hater Duane, Mar 4, 2006
  12. Tsk, tsk, tsk....shoulda had that APC backup. It is a must in my area.
    I know that feeling well.....;o\

    @}-}-------Rosee, Mar 4, 2006
  13. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Mitch Guest

    Let's just say, for arguments sake, that there are only 5 million
    Sure, if you didn't ALSO write "that would be about right, 5."
    That's today -- I was asking about the "always has" part.
    Do you know what the interest was like when each one came out? Do you
    know how fast Linux grew compared to how fast Windows grew?
    As a user of a newsgroup, we are both expected to know that no one
    respondent represents the group.
    But it is good advice and a useful warning -- you can't build a strong
    or logical argument out of made-up numbers.
    I knew you were creating a hypothetical example. I also saw that you
    were trying to make other arguments look silly with it.

    Mitch, Mar 5, 2006
  14. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Mitch Guest

    As far as I'm concerned, the general public requires
    Actually, that is the ONLY requirement that matters to me.
    And those people should not be expected to know things like the right
    mouse button is different from the left one. That's a pretty critical
    difference, isn't it? Yet where is it described to a new user, and how
    clear is that description? Is it so obvious that the newest user
    automatically uses it effectively in the first day?
    How about file name? Can you justify why a file's NAME must include
    some letters at the end that aren't what the user wants to name it? Why
    should it be such a critical issue?
    What about NumLock? What purpose does this key serve regular users? It
    is certainly a critical one -- without that, they can hardly understand
    what is happening why they type on those keys which are clearly for
    numbers.
    How about Microsoft's use of the asterisk to represent multiplication?
    There is a standard symbol for multiplication -- why isn't that used?
    What about eight-character filenames? These appear everywhere -- why
    aren't they _long_ gone? they are clearly _much_ inferior to a more
    descriptive name of fifteen or twenty characters in almost every case.
    What about this svchost process? Someone looking to learn what is
    running learns nothing from ten of the same name running.
    Why hasn't the OS always been able to use the space in filenames? it's
    not like no one could perceive the need for it. It's not like users
    wouldn't need to use it. It's something that users needed to learn
    which is different form how they think and which could easily have been
    avoided.
    You've gotta be joking here. This group is FILLED with users who don't
    know what's going on -- from how to respond to an error message to
    changing even the most basic system settings. Windows is the CAUSE of
    these problems, not the solution.
    Again, I didn't say anything at all about Linux. I have no idea where
    you got that. I said only that Windows is NOT these things.
    No, I think your point was given as LINUX CRAPPED OUT with most users
    -- not that most users use Windows.
    I think you're solidly brainwashed.
    I don't think Windows is anything like 'comfortable' or 'best' and
    there is no better example of an OS making it's users zombies.

    Mitch, Mar 5, 2006
  15. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Mara Guest

    Yep. And as proof, I offer that fact that, after I installed a nice new DVD
    burner in this box this afternoon, my little box bought the farm.

    "She's dead, Jim."

    Mara, Mar 5, 2006
  16. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Mara Guest

    <SNIP>

    Would you PLEASE start quoting properly, and leave *in* the attributions, as
    above? I have no idea who you're talking to. Probably, a LOT of people wouldn't.

    "Very bad netiquette, that."

    Mara, Mar 5, 2006
  17. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    mistletoad Guest

    <SNIP>
    Nice argument, folks.

    Now, if you want to find out some interesting things about
    Windows, why it's supposedly "easy" to use, its history, and a
    lot of other VERY interesting tidbits go:

    (I have no links like this for Linux. But Google may.)

    I have no doubt Linux is a superior OS to Windows but I have
    (after years of tweaking) got my Windows machines to run
    perfectly, and I am too old and stupid to learn something from
    scratch when I can do everything I want to and I crash MAYBE two
    or three times a year, usually because I accidentally do
    something I know Windows doesn't like. Had to believe, I know,
    it took a LONG time to get there.

    Maybe the day will come when Bill's evil empire no longer
    dominates everything, but if it ever does, I'm sure the world
    will have even more serious problems by then.

    Cheers.

    mistletoad, Mar 5, 2006
  18. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Mitch Guest

    Yeah, sorry.
    The messages were getting so long, and I didn't think anyone else was
    reading that thread any more.

    Mitch, Mar 5, 2006
  19. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Seatoller Guest

    And there is this:
    http://linux.sys-con.com/read/45026.htm?CFID=143852&CFTOKEN=C5703138-7347-14C1-FA245C7EC4AD6359

    This is an interesting read too:
    http://rixstep.com/1/20040831,00.html

    Also another interesting read: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15305

    And this: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

    And how about this: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20817

    Seatoller, Mar 5, 2006
  20. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Mara Guest

    That's what snipping's for.

    Mara, Mar 5, 2006