Lies about Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. Linux is crap, and the distro named Ubuntu is crap and I know all I need
    to know about Linux.

    I waited for 4 weeks for Ubuntu discs to arrive and gleefully receive
    them and try out the Live CD on my current computer that I am using. I
    like it okay, but am not really sure if I want to install it or not on
    this computer.

    So, I decide to try it out on an old 433MHz, 4.3GB, 128MB RAM, E-Machine
    and see if everything goes well. Put the install CD in the old computer
    that was freshly reinstalled with XP, nothing on it except for XP,
    nothing personal, just XP. An Ubuntu screen pops up and I pick the
    option of a default installation where everything will be wiped off of
    the system and Ubuntu will be installed.

    Yeah right. I work my way through the customary English this, English
    that screens and the Ubuntu installer detects hardware, etc... Then a
    screen comes up asking if I would like to completely erase all the files
    on the partition to make it possible to install Ubuntu. I click yes and
    it goes through several more steps and the goes to blue screen.

    Just a blue screen, no error messages, nothing. I figure it may be
    taking it a long time to partition the drive and get it ready. An hour
    passes, still just the blue screen. I try to alt-ctrl-del it, nothing.
    Try to escape it, nothing. Totally dead. I have to hit the power
    button to get a response. Go through the whole process again, same
    result.

    Try to boot up without install CD in and get a message of no operating
    system installed. So, I reinstall XP. I thought perhaps I did something
    wrong the first time or maybe it was a bad Ubuntu CD. So I get another
    Ubuntu CD and try again. Same result, go through the whole convoluted
    process again and ends up with a blank ass blue screen and nothing
    happening.

    Screw Linux. I know all I need to know about Linux.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Mar 1, 2006

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Gordon Guest

    Just proves how ignorant, moronic and technically incompetent you really
    are then, doesn't it? Windows is VERY suitable for you then!

    Gordon, Mar 1, 2006

  3. X-No-Archive: YES
    Gordon [] has entered into testimony

    This poast just shows how easily you are trolled. Care for some pliers
    to pull that h0oK outa yer mouth?

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Windows is very suitable for just about everyone as I understand it.
    Maybe Linux is what Linux is because it is a piece of crap that does not
    work as advertised. I followed every step correctly and the fabulous
    Ubuntu crapped out. Much like Linux as a whole has crapped out with the
    majority of computer users.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Mar 1, 2006
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Deano Guest

    (Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{
    Linux's detection of hardware does seem a weakness IMO but Ubuntu worked
    fine on my newish laptop. Linux works for lots of people but it's not
    generally as straightforward to install as Windows. BTW I've also seen
    Windows crap out on old hardware so let's not be too hasty in condemning
    Linux because or your experience with one distro eh?

    Deano, Mar 1, 2006
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Seatoller Guest

    As /you/ understand it, which would not appear to be much. Windows is
    dumbed down so even the lowest common denominator can use it, hence all
    the malware...with "Duh, what's this, George?": *click* BANG!
    Funny then, how more people are changing over to linux. Just because /you/
    couldn't get it to work, doesn't mean others can't.
    Yes, well you /do/ need a brain to understand what you're reading.
    Sez you! And you can /prove/ this statement of yours? Now PPOSTFU.

    Seatoller, Mar 1, 2006
  7. Let's just say, for arguments sake, that there are only 5 million
    computer users in the world. Out of those 5 million, 5 use Linux and
    the rest use Windows. That would be about right, 5. Now, those 5
    scream and yell and talk about how smart they are all the time and beg
    the other 4,999,995 computer users to please, please, use Linux.

    The 5 Linux users are real big talkers about how all Windows users don't
    have brains. These Linux users assume that they are intellectually
    superior because they have mastered an obscure and overlooked operating
    system that not many people give a damn about.

    They finally persuade some of the Windows users to give Linux a try even
    though Windows was serving them perfectly well. The Linux operating
    system turns out to be difficult, clunky, strange, unnecessarily hard,
    and that is just to install. The Linux system seems to be a bust to the
    few Windows users who give it a try.

    What would be the overall analysis of Linux by the very few Windows
    users who attempted to switch to Linux? Why go to the trouble, stick
    with what works and what is easy and doesn't frustrate you.

    No wonder Windows beats down Linux worldwide and always has.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Mar 1, 2006
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Seatoller Guest

    That is pure speculation on your behalf. I said "Post Proof" to back up
    your statement "Much like Linux as a whole has crapped out with the majority of
    computer users."

    Seatoller, Mar 1, 2006
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    john Guest

    No Gordon... it proves what I have been saying all along.
    Linux is not ready for the desktop..... what this person is saying and how
    he is reacting is typical of many people who want to try out linux. I have
    heard similar things again and again....

    Linux is NOT for beginners.... (I said there was one exception to this:
    Linspire; it may not be flexible as a normal linux but its the easiest
    desktop linux ever made)

    I love linux and use it, but I know its limitations and what it is good at.

    You prefer to live in a dreamworld and not understanding what the majority
    of people think and how they interact with computers. I have trained
    hundreds of people and I know what they like and what they dont like. I know
    what problems
    they run into and what is easy for them.

    You are viewing things from your personal point of view that is wrong if you
    want to apply it to everyone. Linux may be good for you, but its not for the
    masses,
    not yet at least.

    --
    Disclaimer: This info is given "as is".
    If you do not like the content or attitude of my posts,

    john, Mar 1, 2006
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    john Guest

    We dont expect you to understand... you are so fanatic that your sig is a
    distro!

    Linux is given for free and most people still dont want it! LOL

    perhaps they should start paying people to use it...

    john, Mar 1, 2006
  11. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Donald Guest

    I say Linux is more a hobby than a super OS Takes more typing than its worth
    in my opinion

    ""(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)""

    Donald, Mar 1, 2006
  12. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Gordon Guest

    You can do either in Linux - a FAR superior command line to that found in
    Windows, or, there are GUIs that are certainly the equivalent of those
    found in Windows, if not better. If you want to "point and click" you
    certainly can - the CHOICE is yours, not something foisted on you by a
    megalomaniac corporation who THINK they know what you want.

    Gordon, Mar 1, 2006
  13. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Jeff Evans Guest

    You couldn't be more wrong about this. In general, Linux users don't
    really care what other people are doing. They just want a better
    operating system, so they use it. No sweat off their back if you don't
    agree, they still get what they wanted.

    Jeff Evans, Mar 1, 2006
  14. Hear, hear!!!!

    @}-}-------Rosee, Mar 1, 2006
  15. Sorta responding to the troll, but also informing folks that this
    situation has not been the norm for me and this distro of Ubuntu:

    Your first mistake was trying to install on a piece of junk eMachine
    .....sheesh!

    I have tried the live CD of Ubuntu on every computer that has come
    across my desk<about 27>, in the last two weeks, and it has refused to
    run on just one, a 233MHz....Intel I think.

    The range of computers encompasses Intel and AMD, from a 366MHz to a
    2.50GHz. Ubuntu even found those piece-o-junk C-Media sound cards. It
    is fabulous! I've installed using the installation disk I made from an
    ISO on an AP400 Workstation 450MHz, SCSI interface only and it ran as
    fast as my 1.80GHz Intel. I've haven't tried on an eMachine and don't
    think I would waste my time. I have an old 333MHz somewhere. I may
    dig it out......but don't hold yer breath.....

    Try it on another computer.....

    "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------

    @}-}-------Rosee, Mar 1, 2006
  16. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Vanguard Guest

    ""(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)""

    Since the same problem can occur regardless of which OS you attempt to
    install, we are most definitely pleased that you will eventually extricate
    yourself from computers so we won't have to bother reading your posts
    regarding your other incompetencies.

    Vanguard, Mar 1, 2006
  17. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    john Guest

    You couldn't be more wrong about this. In general, Linux users don't
    Yeah right.. explain the whinning of Gordon and others in here then....

    john, Mar 1, 2006
  18. john rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Explain your own "whinning". Oh, and learn to attribute properly.

    The Old Sourdough, Mar 1, 2006
  19. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    DrCrock Guest

    Ive used a linux distro at work for sometime and found it a quick and
    stable system. People do experience difficulties installing and
    configuring it at home, however that is not entirely the fault of linux
    being that a great deal of manufactures do not offer drivers for linux
    based systems. Im still on the hunt for an alternative to xp for many
    reasons, the first being my part in helping to break the monopoly that
    microsoft have on the IT world and that i believe the principles of open
    source is the way forward. Im happy with a dual boot system running xp
    and suse 9.1. Currently trying to sus out the ndiswrapper for my
    wireless connectionon suse. I say dont give up and you should stick with
    linux its definately the way forward.

    DrCrock, Mar 1, 2006
  20. Rosee considers anyone who has a problem installing Linux a troll.
    Typical elitist attitude, probably doesn't have many real life friends.
    She also doesn't know how to read. I wasn't using the Live CD on the
    E-Machine, I was using the install CD. See, I didn't want to take a
    chance of screwing up the more modern computer I am using to type this
    post with. To tell you the truth Rosee, I hate that I even put the
    E-machine through the disappointing attempt of installing Linux. Here
    is what I got from your little rant: Don't use Linux on an E-Machine,
    because E-Machine's suck. You sound extremely intelligent. According to
    you, Linux is incapable of operating on a 433MHz Intel based computer,
    because they suck. LOL

    And Vanguard chimes in with enlightened views on what? Who knows? He
    seems to think that people that have a problem with installing Linux
    will soon extricate themselves from computers. Another bright bulb he
    seems to be. I have installed XP over and over and over again. And
    2000, and 98, and 95. Never had one little problem with any of those.
    But Linux screwed up as soon as the CD went in the drive, right off the
    bat. Really fine operating system Linux is.

    To tell you the truth, if all Linux users have the same type of attitude
    as Rosee and Vanguard, I don't think I would want to become a Linux
    user. Not if it turned me into a smug, better than thou,
    pseudo-intellectual type. I'll pass.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Mar 1, 2006