    here's a question out of MCSE but i guess u guys might know it...

    let's say: i've got windows 2000 server + 10 CALs
    can i install the server on 2 different server and load balance the 10 cals?

    Steven C., Aug 8, 2003

  2. Steven C.

    Leon Guest

    no, you can't install the w2k-server on two server cause
    you have only 1 w2k-server-cd and one registration-key.
    You need to purchase a second one.

    Sorry for my bad english.

    Leon

    Leon, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Steven C.

    Marko Guest

    No is the right answer but not explained very well.

    The media is not your only problem. In plain english, the
    End User License Agreement (EULA) states that it is
    granted for a single chassis and is non transferrable. In
    other words, most of the OS licenses we buy today are
    affixed to the original chassis and are retired when the
    machine is retired. We cannot transfer the license to
    that brand new mainboard, CPU and case we just bought from
    our favourite parts reseller and retire the old stuff via
    EBay.

    Because the license is non transferrable, it implies a
    single (original, one time) chassis installation.

    The Client Access Licenses (CALs) are additional to the
    chassis license, granted to operate concurrently with the
    OS license. Hence, you cannot say "I have two licensed
    servers so I can connect up to 20 clients between the two
    machines because I have 2 lots of 10 CALs". This is where
    per server licensing (rather than per seat) is sometimes
    not a good option.

    The 120 day type license you find with Windows Advanced
    Server in the MS Press kits can be installed many times,
    but only once concurrently, legally.

    Marko, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Steven C.

    KLXrider Guest

    no

    KLXrider, MCNGP #18

    KLXrider, Aug 8, 2003
  5. Steven C.

    Samir Patel Guest

    No. The Server licence and the CALs are independent of
    each other. You need a seperate Server licence for every
    computer Server is installed on.

    can only be installed on a single computer.

    Samir Patel, Aug 8, 2003
  6. You are talking about OEM licenses with respect to non-transferability.
    Retail licenses do not have this restriction.

    Oli Restorick [MVP], Aug 10, 2003
  7. Yes... If you purchase/have two Windows Server licenses,
    you don't need additional CAL's. Microsoft's licensing
    allows devices with a CAL to access any number of servers
    when the servers run in "Per Seat" licensing mode (as
    opposed to "Per Server").

    In "Per Server" mode, you could say that CAL's are 'bound'
    to the server as concurrent connections.

    "Per Seat" allows a device (or user, depending on
    licensing and product) with a CAL to access any number of
    servers (within a organisation).

    You can switch (one time only) between "Per Server"
    and "Per Seat" in the licensing control panel.

    The preffered licensing type is "Per Seat", especially if
    you have more than one server. Use "Per Server" licenses
    only for verry (aplication specific) servers, or not at
    all.

    Remember that the server license is seperate and all
    servers must be licensed too.
    balance the 10 cals?

    George Kroonder, Aug 13, 2003
  8. Even with OEM licenses, you can run the server in "Per
    Seat" mode, where your licenses are pooled.

    Two OEM Server licenses with 5 CAL's each would allow you
    connect 10 clients to both these servers as long as you
    run both the servers in "Per Seat" licensing mode.

    You are correct that the EULA for OEM licenses is bound to
    a particular server. However, I suggest anyone to enroll
    their OEM licenses in Software Assurance (SA), both to
    keep it current and to extend their options.

    Regards,
    George.

    George Kroonder, Aug 13, 2003