Li-ION proprietary format batteries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    The other night while dropping off some slide film I wandered to the
    display case and there was a Dimage A1. I admired it and then looked at
    the price tag. CAD$1249. (US$970 at todays distastrously low US$).

    I ran screaming from the store before my CC could leap out of my pocket...

    So I went to dpreview and looked up the A1 and examined the spec in more
    detail. Lovely spec, although posted images I've seen to date have not
    been awe inspiring.

    One of the things that struck me about the A1 spec was the Li-Ion
    battery which appears to be a proprietary package. I understand that
    Li-Ion's hold more charge than Ni-MH, but like all rechargeables, they
    reach a point where they don't charge anymore.

    In these days of rapidly changing electronics, I don't trust Minolta (or
    anyone) to be maintaining the product for a very long time. What do I
    do when I need new battery packs and they are no longer made or available?

    Opinions?

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    $799.99 @ B&H....!

    Alan Browne, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Alan Browne

    Don Forsling Guest

    My opinion is that if circumstances come to what you've outlined above,
    i.e.,
    1. Battery packs are no longer made, and
    2. They are no longer available..

    you have no choice but to stop using the camera, use it as a door stop,
    throw it away, etc..

    However, it is _highly_ unlikely that you'd find yourself in such a position
    for 10-15 years.

    Don Forsling, Nov 30, 2003
  4. My opinion is that you should avoid cameras dependent on proprietary
    batteries.

    If the camera is popular enough, third-party people will provide
    replacement batteries later in its life (if Minolta doesn't). But
    there's no way to know ahead of time.

    I don't *know* ahead of time that AA NiMH will be available in 5 years
    either, but I feel safe betting on it.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 30, 2003
  5. I get aggravated by proprietary batteries, too. However, Louise has a Sony
    Mavica that writes to floppies, and I've forgotten how many years old it
    is. Batteries are still available for it from online vendors. While the
    camera may not have a very long lifetime, the battery likely will be
    available long after you have stopped using the camera.

    I wouldn't let the battery be the deciding factor. Keep an eye on
    http://www.primecell.com/
    among other sites -- Prime rebuilt a battery for me for a no longer
    available radio with a proprietary battery for about half the price of a
    new replacement. I don't know what battery your prospective camera uses,
    and the guy may not do those, but check and see.

    Also look at
    http://thomas-distributing.com/
    http://www.batteriesonline.com/ (which has sponsored links for batteries)
    and other sites which other posters will suggest.

    Although the battery may be proprietary, I suspect you will find that it is
    used by other companies for other equipment. My radio battery, for example,
    is used by other companies (or by the same off-shore manufacturer for the
    same radio sold by other companies), so it's unlikely that my battery will
    be unavailable just because my original radio is no longer available from
    the label I bought it from.

    Phil Stripling, Nov 30, 2003
  6. Alan Browne

    Mark B. Guest

    Li-Ion batteries are becoming so common, I don't see how you can avoid them,
    particularly no SLR-like and SLR digital cameras. I wouldn't worry too much
    about it, chances are something on the camera will wear out before you can't
    get batteries anymore. There are many 3rd party battery makers that will
    likely continue making them even after the OEM stops.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 30, 2003
  7. Alan Browne

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Or if not NIMH, then at least something compatible with the AA
    specification, which has been around about as long as I can remember.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 30, 2003
  8. Alan Browne

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    I agree. If the camera is a popular model and the original manufacturer
    stops making batteries, I'm sure there will be other companies that
    would step in and make them available, at least while they can make a
    profit doing so.

    Barry

    Barry Smith, Nov 30, 2003
  9. Alan Browne

    browntimdc Guest

    You can also get the optional external pack which holds 6 AA cells and
    fits on the bottom of the camera. You can also connect an external
    battery to the DC-in jack.

    Tim

    browntimdc, Nov 30, 2003
  10. Alan Browne

    Crownfield Guest

    cruel and heartless!

    Crownfield, Nov 30, 2003
  11. I really hope not. I've got 40-year-old SLR cameras still in use. And
    I can mostly still get batteries for them (I've been lucky with the
    mercury thing, some cameras that old have no batteries and no
    replacements available).

    I don't want my Fuji S2 to have a much shorter life than that.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 30, 2003
  12. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Thanks for the replies.

    Alan Browne, Dec 1, 2003
  13. Alan Browne

    NJH Guest

    $764.00 at Newegg.com, and with free shipping! (In the U.S. anyway--dunno
    about Canada.)

    Newegg is impossible to beat for speed, service and reliability, too.

    Neil

    NJH, Dec 2, 2003
  14. ">
    I'll probably still be paying for my S2 then too. But realistically, if it
    is not totally obsolete within 7 years, I'll be shocked. At that point, I
    should have 100,000 frames or so on it, so it'll probably be dead anyhow.

    It was a hard choice for me between the S2 and D100 because of the battery
    thing. If my newspaper wasn't paying for my batteries, particularly the
    pricy 123s the camera eats at a high rate (one set per 500 frames), I'd be
    severly regretting my decision. The paper just bought a bulk box of 100 of
    the for me for $475 taxes in. That's halfway to a decent lens for me.

    Brian Zinchuk

    Brian Zinchuk, Dec 2, 2003
  15. It's the most expensive camera body I've ever bought, by a factor of
    about 3, so I really *hope* I can keep it going quite a while.
    Funny thing; while the dark noise was the big deciding factor for me,
    the battery scheme on the D100 was one of the big disadvantages for
    me. Expensive proprietary batteries are something I won't subject
    myself to. I just omit the 123s; they don't do anything useful that I
    can find.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Dec 2, 2003