LF: "Color Profiles for Dummies" kinda site

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marc P., Dec 30, 2003.

  1. Marc P.

    Marc P. Guest

    Hi,

    I'm starting a small photography business and I will probably have
    some volume of photos to print this coming summer season. I have a
    Canon 10D, a Pentium 4 PC and an Epson 2200 printer. I use PS to
    retouch files and then I print them using the "Film Factory" software
    that came with the Epson printer.

    I'm not much of a techie as far "color profiles" go, in fact, I've
    never bothered with this and I've had o.k. results. Now, I want to
    experiment with different inks and papers, and I know I will have to
    deal with those darn profiles!!!!

    Is there a site somewhere that would act as a "Using Color Profiles
    For Dummies" type book???

    I would really appreciate it if someone could point me to such a site
    or page.

    Thanks.

    Marc.

    Marc P., Dec 30, 2003

  2. Marc P.

    PyThoN Guest

  3. Marc P.

    PQ Guest

    Here's one you can start with:
    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontier/using_frontier_profiles.htm
    It explains how to use Frontier & Noritsu profiles when preparing
    images for commercial printing units, but should also be applicable
    for your own printing when ICC profiles for your printer/paper choice
    are installed & selected. Also review the "calibrated and profiled
    monitor" link provided.

    PQ, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Marc P.

    Marc P. Guest

    Marc P., Dec 30, 2003
  5. Marc P.

    Art Guest

    I was browsing thru the computer graphics section at Barnes&Noble and
    discovered the following book that appears to be an excellent and
    comprehensive(perhaps more than you asked for) book on color management.
    It's the best I've seen. Thought I'd pass it along to everyone.

    -Art

    The book is:

    "Real World Color Management"
    Written by Fraser, Murphy, and Bunting