Letterbox vs. full screen?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Philip Marlow, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. (Bur) wrote in
    Cinematography is an art that has been developed for over 100 years now.
    Filmmakers have a pretty good idea of how to use it.
    True, but that direction is dependent on having the original framing to
    work with.
    Not true. P&S is taking a scene composed for one ratio and forcing it
    into another. The visual direction created for one frame will be lost
    in the other.
    Most don't.
    There is no extraneous information.
    Of everything you've said here, I honestly think this is the only
    thing that genuinely supports your point-- You like FS because, well,
    you like it. It's honest.

    Everything else you've said, however, really seems to support the WS
    position more than yours.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Philip Marlow

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : I have never had a conversation with a successful director and was
    : previously unaware that successful directors look down with utter
    : disdain upon us lowly peasants who might dare to view their elysian
    : art on a plebian '15" thrift store television.' Now that you have
    : explained it, I am sure the great and wonderful director knows what's
    : best (No! Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!) for us.

    ==============
    They only look down on the "lowly person" that wants the movie ALTERED
    for their 15" Emerson.
    They don't care what you watch it on. They just prefer you watch it in
    OAR.
    ================
    :
    : We are talking about TV shows here - a show presented on a TV.

    ============================
    If watched in OAR, it is a movie.
    ============================

    :
    : Very strange. The film needs .? The film needs nothing.

    =======================
    It sure does.........
    It needs to be viewed in OAR.
    =========================

    :
    : Why not? If I choose to watch the movie upside-down, why shouldn't I?
    : If I choose to watch the movie in FS, it's my choice.

    ===============
    Then get a ZOOM function.
    ====================

    Richard C., Mar 4, 2004

  3. Philip Marlow

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : Using
    : this visual separation should be (and is) done sparingly.

    : However, the continuous use of
    : this technique would end up with the movie audience having to
    : constantly scan the picture to make sure they aren't missing anything.

    =============================
    Is your peripheral vision that bad?

    Richard C., Mar 4, 2004
  4. Philip Marlow

    DarkMatter Guest

    It requires absolutely zero peripheral vision to watch either type
    of movie. One that fills the screen, and one that does not. BOTH are
    completely viewable without the use of any peripheral vision.

    Try again.

    DarkMatter, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Philip Marlow

    Justin Guest

    Richard C. wrote on [Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:48:03 -0800]:
    Well, what about TV shows that are shown in widescreen?

    The fact is, OAR is OAR. Everything else is butchery.

    Justin, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Philip Marlow

    Richard C. Guest

    : Richard C. wrote on [Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:48:03 -0800]:
    : >
    : > : > :
    : > :
    : > ============================
    : > If watched in OAR, it is a movie.
    : > ============================
    :
    : Well, what about TV shows that are shown in widescreen?
    :
    : The fact is, OAR is OAR. Everything else is butchery.

    ==============
    100% agreed!

    Richard C., Mar 4, 2004
  7. Philip Marlow

    Richard C. Guest

    message : On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:49:36 -0800, "Richard C." <post-age
    : @spamcop.net> Gave us:
    :
    : >
    : >=============================
    : >Is your peripheral vision that bad?
    : >
    : It requires absolutely zero peripheral vision to watch either type
    : of movie. One that fills the screen, and one that does not. BOTH are
    : completely viewable without the use of any peripheral vision.
    :
    : Try again.

    ==================
    depends on how big your screen is.

    ;-)
    ==================

    Richard C., Mar 4, 2004
  8. Philip Marlow

    Bur Guest

    This is the same thing I said way back when ("Some movies are
    available only in widescreen which leaves you with the option of
    putting up with ugly black bars or just skipping the movie. I
    generally rent widescreen only releases and buy only fullscreen for my
    permanent collection.") which is simply a way of saying I prefer
    fullscreen. Your answer way back then was much the same as mine (i.e.
    a zoom of a WS to a FS wouldn't look very good) and a reference to
    widescreen.org, which meant to me you prefer WS. The rest of the
    posts (at least the ones written by intelligent life) were generally
    people explaining why WS (or in my case FS) is better. Such an
    argument is, in the end, unwinnable. We could debate for a long time
    on whether chocolate ice cream is ‘better' than strawberry, but I
    suspect that, in the end, we will retain our flavor preference. What's
    a little amazing is how emotional some people get when confronted with
    someone who doesn't share their preference. Why does anybody care at
    all about how I like to watch a movie? Although, as always, a
    spirited argument is great fun.

    Bur, Mar 4, 2004
  9. Then go back to VHS where there is plenty of "full"screen available.
    That's because we respect the way filmmakers intended their
    films to be viewed. You on the other hand have very little respect
    since you demand for P&S which is very disrespectful to how
    the filmmakers want their films to be seen.
    You are on the long losing end of that. In the end Widescreen/OAR is
    going to win the DVD video format war. Why? Because the public
    as a whole is starting to get it. Yes it will take time. Rome wasn't
    built in a day either. But eventually even people like you will finally
    realize what people like Richard, Aaron, and myself have been
    telling you all along.
    The difference is that nothing is being cut off rather if you prefer
    chocolate or strawberry. Very bad example.
    How about the filmmakers who worked years on the film? Should they
    just pander down to your lowness and keep letting their works being
    cut and ripped apart? Absoultely not.
    We care because if you are not watching it in whatever screen format
    the filmmakers intended then you aren't experiencing the whole film -
    you are letting yourself only see parts of it.

    Brian Demolition Man Little, Mar 5, 2004
  10. (Bur) wrote in
    Since you are asking me, here is my response: some things are up to
    preference, and some things are not. How you prefer to watch a movie
    will always be your preference. However, the correct way to watch said
    movie will *not* be up to preference. A movie's aspect ratio is decided
    when the film is shot. It's not up for debate or open to
    interperitation--
    it is what it is, 1.33:1, 1.85:1, 2.35:1, whatever.

    So when an aspect ratio is involved, it's very reasonable to say that
    OAR is RIGHT and anything else is WRONG-- simply because one is the
    original ratio, the other is not. That's not preference, that's
    geometry.

    Oh the other hand, what suits your individual tastes is and always will
    be your preference. The only question then is, does your preference
    coincide with the correct ratio?

    To address your ice cream analogy: it's not chocolate vs. strawberry,
    since intent is not a factor, and people don't try and change it after
    the fact. No one makes chocolate ice cream, puts strawberries in it,
    and then claims it's just as good as strawberry ice cream. However,
    people do take a WS movie, buy it in a FS version, and say it's just as
    good, or better.

    Food analogies seldom work with this discussion.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Mar 5, 2004
  11. Philip Marlow

    Justin Guest

    Actually, that sounds pretty good

    Justin, Mar 5, 2004

  12. You projection screen, like your dick, is just that small.

    Chris Phillipo, Mar 5, 2004
  13. Philip Marlow

    DarkMatter Guest

    My brother used to put maraschino cherries on his pizza.

    DarkMatter, Mar 5, 2004
  14. Philip Marlow

    DarkMatter Guest

    Sorry, dipshit, but you don't know a goddamned thing about me.

    One can view a film at the theater or even at the drive in without
    the use of peripheral vision. So you are clueless.

    Also, I have nine inches of "just that small" for your lame ass,
    little girl.

    DarkMatter, Mar 5, 2004
  15. Philip Marlow

    Richard C. Guest

    message :
    : dipshit, :
    : goddamned
    :
    : clueless.
    :
    : Also, I have nine inches of "just that small" for your lame ass,
    : little girl.

    ================
    Always the charming one.................................

    Richard C., Mar 5, 2004
  16. Philip Marlow

    Richard C. Guest

    message : On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 03:33:14 GMT, Justin <> Gave
    : us:
    :
    : >Aaron J. Bossig wrote on [Thu, 04 Mar 2004 21:28:22 -0600]:
    : >> To address your ice cream analogy: it's not chocolate vs.
    strawberry,
    : >> since intent is not a factor, and people don't try and change it
    after
    : >> the fact. No one makes chocolate ice cream, puts strawberries in
    it,
    : >> and then claims it's just as good as strawberry ice cream.
    : >
    : >Actually, that sounds pretty good
    :
    : My brother used to put maraschino cherries on his pizza.

    ===============
    So, this "thing" you have runs in the family?
    ==============

    Richard C., Mar 5, 2004
  17. Philip Marlow

    DarkMatter Guest

    He's the one that made the dick joke, D I P S H I T.

    DarkMatter, Mar 5, 2004
  18. Philip Marlow

    DarkMatter Guest

    You're an idiot, Richard. Your maturity level declined a few months
    ago when the Maxtard returned. Does he really bother you that much?

    DarkMatter, Mar 5, 2004
  19. Philip Marlow

    Richard C. Guest

    message : On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 07:13:58 -0800, "Richard C." <post-age
    : @spamcop.net> Gave us:
    :
    : >
    : >message : >:
    : >: dipshit, :
    : >: goddamned
    : >:
    : >: clueless.
    : >:
    : >: Also, I have nine inches of "just that small" for your lame ass,
    : >: little girl.
    : >
    : >================
    : >Always the charming one.................................
    : >
    : He's the one that made the dick joke, D I P S H I T.

    ===================
    I thought you pot-heads were supposed to be mellow.

    So much for that lie.

    I guess once the brain damage passes a certain point, all bets are off.
    ======================

    Richard C., Mar 5, 2004
  20. Philip Marlow

    Richard C. Guest

    message : >
    : You're an idiot, Richard. Your maturity level declined a few months
    : ago when the Maxtard returned. Does he really bother you that much?

    Quite frankly, that is a compliment coming from you.

    You are lost in a world of "retards" and "dipshits".

    Grow up.

    Richard C., Mar 5, 2004