letter assignments

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Mike, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I'm unclear about automatic letter assignments. If I have three hard drives
    and a CD-ROM all connected to the motherboard as below.

    Primary - Master 6 GB HD

    - Slave CD-ROM

    Secondary - Master 8 GB HD

    - Slave 10 GB HD

    Would they automatically be assigned:

    C: 6 GB HD

    D: CD-ROM

    E: 8 GB HD

    F: 10 GB HD

    - or -

    C: 6 GB HD

    D: 8 GB HD

    E: 10 GB HD

    F: CD-ROM

    Thanks for your help,

    Mike

    Mike, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Mike

    AG Guest

    Hard drives get their letters first. My system has 8 gig primary master HD
    C: 60 gig HD Secondary Master D: CDROM Primary slave E: and CDROM Secondary
    slave F:

    AG

    AG, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks AG,
    If I had four hard drive would the order of letter assignments be:
    Primary Master (C:), Primary Slave (D:), Secondary Master (E:) and Secondary
    Slave (F:)
    - or -
    Primary Master (C:), Secondary Master(D:), Primary Slave (E:), and
    Secondary Slave (F:)
    Thanks, Mike

    Mike, Mar 15, 2005
  4. Hmmm...I am not around this stuff much these days, but I think that
    it's the first option that is correct. However, with multiple
    partitions what you suggest is true, I think; the extended partitions'
    logical drives are ordered after primary partitions. I am really
    afraid to trust my memory these days, though... :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Mar 15, 2005
  5. Mike

    Guest Guest

    As I understand your scenario the above answer is correct. It gets a bit
    more complex when dealing with drives that have multiple partitions. In this
    case the primary partitions get letters allocated first, then the logical
    partitions.

    This link might help explain further
    http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/defaul...leid=4207&subsectionid=383&subsubsectionid=91

    Guest, Mar 16, 2005