    asked before, but I could not find it doing a Deja-News search.

    Any help appreciated.

    TIA

    bogus, Jul 7, 2003

  2. bogus

    Smoker Guest

    Download Tweakui. You can make the arrow light or not show at all.

    Smoker, Jul 7, 2003

  3. bogus

    trout Guest

    Maybe. Probably not.

    A Microsoft critical update that replaced the
    'shell32.dll' file prevents "TweakUI" from changing
    or removing the arrows.
    You could get around this by fiddling in the registry (which I'm not
    going to try to describe), or with the free software solution:
    TweakAll3 by Codeforge:
    <http://www.codeforge.co.uk/mainframes.htm>

    Note: This caused an irregularity for me (Win98SE) by showing a double
    list of some options in the (right-click) context menu for affected
    files.

    trout, Jul 7, 2003
  4. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Sun, 6 Jul 2003 21:47:27
    -0700, trout uttered this:
    Hmm...sounds like a case of MS saying what you can or can't do
    on your own machine.
    When I had 98 / 98SE, I used X-teq X-setup. It had a lot of useful tweaks, &
    completely removed the arrows. It's free too. :)
    http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/index.html

    William Poaster, Jul 7, 2003
  5. bogus

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as William Poaster continued:
    Nothing new there then. Must be just a tester, something small and
    insignificant, but doesn't bode well for the future :-(
    Excellent bit of software - highly recommended !!

    Slumpy, Jul 7, 2003
  6. bogus

    Plato Guest

    Hehe, it may be YOUR machine, but the fact remains that it is THEIR
    software, like it or not and they can do as they please with THEIR
    software.

    Plato, Jul 7, 2003
  7. bogus

    trout Guest

    Thanks, William. I may have another look at that.
    (I eventually got rid of the arrows by using a different version of the
    dll; with °Mike°'s assistance.)
    I *think* I downloaded X-setup once before, had trouble with a bad
    install, and put the whole business on the back burner for a while.

    trout, Jul 7, 2003
  8. bogus

    °Mike° Guest

    X-setup didn't like my 98SE system either. I had to uninstall.

    °Mike°, Jul 7, 2003
  9. bogus

    trout Guest

    Thanks. I'll put a copy in my "Downloaded Programs" folder for
    rainy-day fiddling.

    trout, Jul 7, 2003