    5. Landscapes
    Any information and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in
    advance..

    Marge, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Marge

    Chris Brown Guest

    Canon 100mm EF f/2.8 Macro will do you well for that.
    How big a group? How distant? Anything from a 28mm, through the 50mm f/1.4
    (lovely portrait lens) to the aforementioned macro lens.
    The 70(?)-200 L lens, if you can afford it, should do well for this.
    I really like the EF 15mm fisheye, but it's not to everyone's tastes.

    Chris Brown, Jan 4, 2005

  3. A macro lens. Best might be something about 80-100 mm but the usual 50
    or 55 mm macro should be fine.
    Close-up images of people would be best done with something about 50 -
    75mm. The macro above may work fine for this work. It works for me anyway.

    I like to use a wide angle for groups. I have the 10mm - 22 mm zoom for
    my 20D and find that for indoor events of non-posed groups it is
    outstanding. It is a little soft and if not careful you may get some
    undesirable distortion, yet once you learn to use it, it is a great tool.
    This can mean many different things. You may need a fast lens for
    indoor events at a distance or without flash. Focal length will depend on
    how distant. Sporting events are a category in of itself. IS (Image
    Stabilization) may also be important for this use.
    $$$$$ This generally calls for long fast lenses and good ones will cost
    more than the camera cost. Depending on what you want something in the
    300-1000 mm range may be needed. You will also likely want IS technology as
    well.
    That macro along with a good wide angle about 27 - 35 mm range will be
    helpful.
    You have a wide range of needs. To do it best is going to cost a great
    deal, so I guess the question is for you to decide the trade offs of price
    vs. product.

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Marge

    Fyimo Guest

    She sort of wants it all and to do it all well would cost a large sum
    for a lens kit. I agree that she needs to narrow down what he needs and
    where he is willing to make trade offs. Now if cost of the lens kit
    isn't a problem then the decisions get easier

    50 or 100mm f2.8 macro lens ( 50mm would also make a great portriat
    lens)
    17-40mm f4 L lens
    70-200mm f2.8 IS or f4 L version
    300mm f4 IS L
    Canon1.4 X extender

    If budget is a factor

    Canon 50mm f2.5 macro ( excellent macro and general portrait lens)
    28-135mm IS Lens ( high quality lens)
    100-300mm zoom ( Images will be soft past 200mm) or 300mm f4 IS L lens
    ( excellent images but a 480 mm f4 on a 20D) the latter is a great
    wildlife , sports, and birding lens. When coupled with the 1.4x
    extender it's a very decent bird lens which is a 672mm f5.6 lens that
    still auto focus's.

    Art

    Fyimo, Jan 4, 2005
  5. Marge

    Seymore Guest

    Seymore, Jan 4, 2005
  6. Marge

    C Wright Guest

    For the close-ups - the 100mm f2.8 macro. It is not a 'L' lens but most
    people think that it is L quality.
    For the group pictures close and distant - the 24-70 f2.8L. A very flexible
    and sharp lens throughout its zoom range. It would work well for your
    landscapes as well. The only negative that I can think of regarding this
    lens is it is a bit heavy for a 'normal' lens and the included lens hood is
    huge!
    For animals and birds - a 400 mm IS lens either zoom or non-zoom depending
    on how much you can afford!
    For sporting events - potentially the same lens that you would use for
    wildlife or alternatively the 70-300mm DO IS for outdoor events (for indoor
    events this lens might not have enough aperture). This lens can also work
    as a wildlife lens if you do not want to spring for the 400mm right away, it
    also has some macro capabilities.
    Chuck

    C Wright, Jan 4, 2005
  7. Marge

    Fyimo Guest

    I would strongly recommend the 50mm macro lens over the 100mm f2.8
    unless the only use for the lens is macro. On the 20D the lens is a
    160mm f2.8 when it's not doing macro work, which I think is a bit
    long. The 50mm macro requires closer working distances in macro but
    would also serve as a 80mm f2.5 Portrait lens. I have the 100mm f2.8
    and it produces images equal to an L lens and so did the 50mm f2.5
    macro when I owned it.

    The 24-70mm 2.8 L is a good recommendation. I have the older 28-70mm
    f2.8 L lens and it to takes excellent images. However, I find myself
    using the 28-135mm IS lens a lot more because it is lighter, takes
    sharp pictures, and has a focal length on the 20D that is 46 -212mm
    and a lot more useful to me. It also costs a lot less and in fact you
    can have it and the 50 or 100mm Canon macro lens and money in your
    pocket.

    On the long end I would recommend the 100-400mm IS lens as a choice or
    the fixed 300mm f4 IS lens and the canon 1.4 Tele-extender. You lose
    the nice zoom feature but you end up with sharper pictures on the long
    end. It's a matter of choice I guess and up to the individual.

    I would go to a dealer and try these lens on my camera body and maybe
    even rent one for a day to see if I liked it and also to review the
    images I got with it. There are also links to lens reviews on this site
    worth looking at.

    Art

    Fyimo, Jan 4, 2005
  8. Marge