    If I want to have fun, I'll play with some Silly Putty. I don't need to be
    ruining my photos with an overpriced toy that's being spammed in every photo
    newsgroup.

    JoeBS, May 21, 2007

  2. I was skeptical too, until I tried a Lensbaby for myself.

    Within 30 minutes of fixing a Lensbaby on the trusty 50mm f/1.8 lens on
    a totally digital Nikanonpus D200D30Dsx, my levels of blood sugar and
    adrenaline began to soar. I felt a ringing in my ears and a horrible
    queasiness in the pit of my stomach. I didn't even know my stomach /had/
    a pit. Anyway, the whole world no longer had any right angles. Reality
    was becoming oblique. I felt like a character acid-tripping out in one
    of those 1960s "Drugs Are Bad, Kids" educational films. Buildings, dogs,
    people, everything was sharp, then blurred, then sharp again but never
    in the same place twice. I was constantly hungry and nauseous at the
    same time. Calliope music playing Hendrix was running incessantly
    through my head. I wanted to unscrew my skull to check my brain's wiring
    for bad solder joints, but the bats wouldn't let me. They kept SWOOPING
    and SWOOPING. So I raised my camera to try to get some selective focus
    action shots.

    At this point my recollection becomes less rational. I vaguely remember
    bending the Lensbaby into a pretzel shape to capture the precision
    flight of the bats. Or was it the US Air Force Thunderbirds? No matter.
    And I remember being slapped a couple of times, and dancing to a police
    car's disco lights ($1). But I woke up hours later with a spitting
    headache, a citation for durnk and disodorly, and a memory card filled
    with images of unnameable Lovecraftean horrors that must never be seen
    by the public, if our fragile civilization is to survive.

    Cool.

    Unclaimed Mysteries, May 21, 2007

  3. It seems to me from what I am reading here, and it is obvious from prior
    discussions, both here and elsewhere, is that there are two quite
    fundamentally different approaches to photography:
    1. do it in camera when you take the shot
    2. do it afterwards to a 'clean' image

    Which one we lean most towards impacts on our respond to gear like the
    lensbaby. Some of the people posting would benefit from learning that
    neither of these approaches is right or wrong, just different and that
    they will suit different people or may suit you differently at different
    times in your life.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
    http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
    Personal art site http://www.cosshall.com/

    Wayne J. Cosshall, May 21, 2007
  4. Wayne J. Cosshall

    ASAAR Guest

    I'm now all for getting and using a LensBaby if it'll add the
    creativity to my shots that it has added to your spelling. The last
    guy cited for being disodorly *must* have been Arlo Guthrie. :)

    ASAAR, May 21, 2007
  5. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Joan Guest

    You left out
    3. don't do it.

    --
    Joan

    :
    : Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    : Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

    Joan, May 21, 2007
  6. Wayne J. Cosshall, May 21, 2007
  7. Wayne J. Cosshall

    ASAAR Guest

    Not a very good point. "Don't do it" is the dominant mode of
    photography. Anyone that doesn't subscribe to that worthy rule will
    wear out their camera in weeks or days rather than in years.
    Perhaps rule #3 is at least as applicable to usenet replies. :)

    ASAAR, May 21, 2007
  8. Wayne J. Cosshall

    George Kerby Guest

    U Bad Boy

    George Kerby, May 21, 2007
  9. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Aaron Guest

    Let me add something else to that thought, Wayne. I generally agree,
    but I also think that tightly zoomed pictures of flowers or your cat's
    face are probably more aesthetically exciting through the eye of a
    Lensbaby. If you take the photo "straight" with the best lens you have
    and then manipulate it to death with software to get the effect, all
    you've lost is time.

    What's the point of having yet another crisply focused and completely
    yawn-inspiring photograph of a yellow tulip or your pet iguana eating
    up hard drive space? That's the question I pose to those who are
    resistant to "creative" gobos and lenses, of which the Lensbaby 3G is
    a very good example.

    Putting some creative flavor between the sensor and a menagerie of
    incredibly overdone and boring subjects can still create serious art.
    It's not so much (for me) about saving money by using software instead
    of a "gimmick" lens, it's about holding up the camera and seeing the
    world in live-action selective focus; it can really give you ideas.

    Here are a couple of things I've done with it.

    "Remember, Remember the Fifth of November"
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/3cpvl6

    "Harkness and the Lensbaby"
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/3d7z2n

    Aaron, May 21, 2007
  10. Wayne J. Cosshall, May 21, 2007
  11. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Lionel Guest

    Wayne,

    This is totally unrelated the subject-line, but after taking a look at
    the blog URL in your sig, I wanted to congratulate you on those
    magnificent IR shots of the Yarra (I assume) that you posted on Jan
    16th this year.
    Bottom of the page:<http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/>
    The striking contrast of tones between the clouds & the foliage is
    just gorgeous. :^)

    Lionel, May 25, 2007
  12. Wayne J. Cosshall, May 25, 2007