    3) I stopped down the 17-40mm to f/11 and got nice pictures. But...

    4) I also get nice pictures with the 18-55mm at f/11.

    5) I am brooding that I wasted $800 on the better lens.

    O R, Nov 12, 2003

  2. O R

    Bowsér Guest

    The 17-40 is a much better lens, but can the sensor in the 300D actually
    resolve enough detail to take advantage of it? Based on what I've seen, no.
    Still, it's a nice lens, and not a waste of money, not by a long shot.
    Higher resolutions will come along, and you'll still have that nice lens.

    Bowsér, Nov 12, 2003

  3. A) Shoot with both and compare at f/5.6, not f/11.

    B) The 17-40 focuses faster and offers full-time manual focusing.

    C) Compare flare and contrast.

    D) The 17-40 can be used on all other Canon EOS film and digital bodies

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Nov 12, 2003
  4. O R

    Samuel Paik Guest

    How do you like them when they are stopped down only a little bit, e.g.
    f/5.6 or so?

    Samuel Paik, Nov 12, 2003
  5. O R

    JPS Guest

    In message <alssb.170$>,
    Only the "L" telephoto primes have the kind of resolution that goes much
    beyond what the 6.3mp Canon DSLRs can record.

    These cameras attenuate the sharpest details, as a necessity, to cut off
    frequencies that would record as garbage. You can bring back the
    details by using a very strong unsharp mask of 0.3 to 0.7 pixels.

    JPS, Nov 14, 2003