Lens Choice for Canon 350D?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Iraxl Enb, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. Iraxl Enb

    Iraxl Enb Guest

    Hi All,

    I bought a Canon Rebel XT (350D) about 3 weeks back,
    with the 18-55 lens that came with the kit.

    I now have the choice of getting either the Canon EF
    75-300 4-5.6 III USM, or the EF 28-105mm f/4.0-5.6 USM.

    Most of my photos are general family portrait types
    (indoor and outdoor), and I might want to try some
    nature/landscape too.

    I am still trying to figure out if I am skill-limited,
    or equipment-limited, so I want to minimize my
    investment for now :)

    Which would be a better lens to buy now, to play
    around, without wasting the lens if I decide to spend
    more money and get better lenses?

    TIA,
    Irax.

    Iraxl Enb, Oct 3, 2005

  2. It is really hard to say. The lens you have covers most territory well.

    The lens that will add the most is the 75-300, but that is all on the
    telephoto end. But since you really have most of the useful range of the
    25-105 covered already, I would go for the 75-300. It will be very nice
    for things like sports.

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 3, 2005

  3. Iraxl Enb

    Iraxl Enb Guest

    Really disappointing reviews for the 75-300 at this site:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=18
    Are the opinions consistent with experiences in general?

    TIA,
    Irax.

    Iraxl Enb, Oct 3, 2005
  4. Iraxl Enb

    John Stewart Guest

    I have the Rebel XT with the kit 18-55 and 75-300 IS USM. Great
    combination. I've had great luck with sporting events and the 75-300 IS.
    Canon is just coming out with the replacement for this lens and the 70-300
    IS appears to be somewhat improved. As for the reviews, you'll be able to
    find all sorts of reviews, from great to crap. Try to figure out what the
    reviewer's needs are and if they allign with yours. I like the shots I get
    with it; other opinions may vary.

    I'm considering replacing the 18-55 with a different walk-around lens to get
    more range on the top end. I've decided that the 18 mm low end is very
    important for me for general camera use. So I'm not looking at the 25-105
    (which looks to be a great but expensive lens) or the 28-136 IS. I'm
    leaning towards either the Sigma or Tamron 18-200. They seem to perform
    adequately for the non-pro (me) and fit my budget.

    John

    John Stewart, Oct 3, 2005
  5. I have a 300D with the kit lens. I didn't realise how soft and dull it
    was until I bought a used Canon Mk I 50mm 1.8

    The 28-105 you're looking at is very much like the kit lens. Soft.
    And slow.

    You might instead look for the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 A MUCH better lens.

    Check out www.photo.net and see the various reviews on Canon lenses. A
    good source of informed opinion and tests.

    Steve Cutchen, Oct 3, 2005
  6. Iraxl Enb

    Lee Guest

    I have been using the 75-300IS for about a year, and have had absolutely no
    problems with it or any image quality problems (although I haven't printed
    very large photos from it).

    I am looking to change it for a 70-200L, but this is not anything to do with
    the 75-300IS lens, it is because I want a bigger aperture.

    Lee, Oct 3, 2005
  7. Iraxl Enb

    Dirty Harry Guest

    Get the 3.5-4.5 if you go for the 28-105,
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=206&sort=7&cat=27
    &page=3 I have this lens and love it, the 28-105 you are looking at gets
    really bad reivews.

    Dirty Harry, Oct 3, 2005
  8. Iraxl Enb

    Alex Guest

    Hi, I bought the 350D as well and within 1 week bought the 75-300 III USM.

    Its an excellent lense but not good at all for close work. I've found that
    you need to by 15-20 feet away from a subject even for a good head/shoulders
    shot.

    In terms of nature its great for shooting birds in trees (photos that is
    ;o), and landscapes that are several hundreds of metres away.

    But if you want to focus more on portrait and not too far away shots, go for
    the 28-105 as the 75-300 is far too long.

    Alex

    Alex, Oct 3, 2005
  9. The 75-300 is too long for indoor work. For nature shots, it is great:
    http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschuler/wsb/media/291308/site1056.jpg

    Charles Schuler, Oct 3, 2005
  10. Iraxl Enb

    Alan Guest

    If you can up your budget a bit go for the IS version of the 75-300, as at
    the "long end" IS makes a massive difference to it's hand-holding ability to
    produce sharp shots.

    Alan.

    Alan, Oct 3, 2005
  11. Iraxl Enb

    Bill Guest

    Like the other fellow said, it depends on your needs and budget.

    If you're happy with snapshots for 4x6 prints, then the 75-300 might be
    fine for you.

    But if you want crisp, sharp as a tack images for larger prints or just
    because that's what you want, then you likely won't be happy with any of
    the 75-300 models from Canon.

    There is a brand new 70-300 IS coming out to replace the 75-300 IS
    model, and it claims to have much sharper optics. If it's good, then it
    would be the lense to get, although it's not cheap ($800 CDN).

    For close to the same price, you could get the Canon 70-200 f/4 L, which
    is very sharp and reasonably sized (it's a fair bit smaller and lighter
    than the f/2.8 versions).

    It all depends...

    Bill, Oct 4, 2005