Lens choice for a Canon 300D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jean, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. jean

    jean Guest

    I plan on buying a Canon 300D soon and I want to know if these lenses will
    be correct.

    The first lens will be the one that comes with the kit the 18-55mm zoom

    The second lens will be a Canon 50mm 1.8

    The third lens I plan to get is a Sigma AF 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO

    I want to use the 50mm and the Sigma on my daughter's 10D also, would these
    be good choices? I am no a professional so the ability of the lenses to
    hold up to physical abuse is not a factor, I just want good optics for the
    price.

    Also what would be a good flash to use with both these cameras for
    occasional use?

    TIA

    Jean

    jean, Oct 24, 2003

  2. jean

    Ed E. Guest

    Those are very good choices within a reasonable budget.

    Ed E., Oct 24, 2003

  3. jean

    Bowser- Guest

    If you can live with a one-stop slower lens, the Canon 70-200 F4L USM is a
    much better lens than the Sigma, and cheaper, too. It's also much smaller
    and lighter.

    Bowser-, Oct 24, 2003
  4. jean

    jean Guest

    Thanks, Il'l check that out.

    Jean

    jean, Oct 24, 2003
  5. jean

    Ed E. Guest

    As for a flash, don't rule out the Sigma 500 DG Super.

    Ed E., Oct 24, 2003
  6. jean

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I'll go along with that. Sigma has bad compatibility problems with Canon
    anyway.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Oct 24, 2003
  7. jean

    PhotoMan Guest

    Another good choice is the Canon 420 EX

    PhotoMan, Oct 25, 2003
  8. Except that the 420 lacks flash exposure compensation - Something the 300D
    needs.

    Timothy O'Connor, Oct 25, 2003
  9. jean

    Don Coon Guest

    ?? So does that mean if I set flash exposure compensation on my 10D using
    my 420EX to -2 that I'll get the same exposure as when I set it to +2???
    The histogram totally disagrees. +2 blows the shot out; -2 jams it to the
    left.

    What am I misunderstanding?

    Don Coon, Oct 25, 2003
  10. jean

    Ray Fischer Guest

    You set you flash exposure compensation on the camera. Not the flash.
    The 300D doesn't have that option. Hence the other flash.

    Ray Fischer, Oct 25, 2003
  11. jean

    Don Coon Guest

    Thanks. I now understand : )

    Don Coon, Oct 26, 2003
  12. jean

    Mark B. Guest

    Very good choices, and all will work fine with the 10D except the 18-55
    zoom. The kit lens has been getting respectable reviews, despite the low
    cost to get it with the kit. The 50/1.8 is probably the sharpest lens you
    can get anywhere for under $100, and the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is an excellent
    lens for the money.

    If all you want is good auto-flash, look at the Canon 420EX. It works
    perfectly on my D30. The 550EX is a step up in power & features, including
    being able to fire another 420EX or 550EX off-camera. A good budget flash
    would be the Sigma EF-500 Super DG. It duplicates most of the 550EX
    features for nearly half the cost. It's not as rugged as the 550, but
    unless you're clumsy with your equipment, it's not a problem.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 26, 2003
  13. jean

    Mark B. Guest

    Not with the 70-200 f/2.8 it doesn't. Really, at least you anti-Sigma
    zealots should know WTF you're talking about.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 26, 2003
  14. jean

    Mark B. Guest

    Until you consider the Canon doesn't come with a tripod collar, which will
    cost you about $114 (B&H) - that puts the Canon much closer to the Sigma in
    cost. Depends on whether you want smaller & lighter, or want the extra
    stop. Read reviews, and read what other users have to say on the Canon
    forums at www.dpreview.com.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 26, 2003
  15. jean

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Oct 27, 2003
  16. jean

    Bowser- Guest

    I'd buy the Canon at twice the price...

    Bowser-, Oct 27, 2003
  17. jean

    bj286 Guest

    bj286, Oct 27, 2003
  18. jean

    Mark B. Guest

    There are no compatability problems with the 70-200 f/2.8, end of story.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 28, 2003
  19. jean

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Oct 28, 2003
  20. jean

    mee Guest

    Not right now but how about after few years when you buy your next
    Canon camera?
    5-10 Years ago there were no compatibility problems with
    that time Sigma-lens + canon-body but You can't put that lens to
    current canon anymore at least without chipping and sigma don't even
    chip the oldest lenses.
    However you can put that time canon lens to your current canon body
    now and in the future.

    This is my primary reason to stick with the canon lenses. Even though
    they are more expensive but I can safely assume that they will work
    in the future bodies too.

    mee, Oct 28, 2003