    Randy Given Guest

    Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
    13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?

    Randy Given, Nov 25, 2005

  2. I drill two small holes, one on either side of the center ridge,
    in each lense cap. I then string a bit of black elastic cord
    through the cap, and tie it off there, with the other end
    circling the lense and being tied off there too. My lense
    caps stay with the lense... dangling below it when not attached
    to the lense itself.

    This is not without certain problems. The lense cap of course
    now has a pair of holes in it, and is not quite as dust tight as
    it was before; but I don't see that as much of a problem, given
    that I use a small drill which is very close to the same
    diameter as the cord I use.

    Another problem is the cord looped around the lense. With some
    lenses that is just easy, but some lenses end up with the cord
    wanting to interfere with focusing or maybe the zoom control.
    If it binds the focus ring (I've got one where it can get
    between the barrel of the lense and the lense hood that I use)
    it can stop the Auto Focus motor from functioning.

    Floyd Davidson, Nov 25, 2005

  3. Randy Given

    irwell Guest

    I did something similar, only just used a blob of epoxy to
    secure the elastic, the other end of the elastic I looped
    through the camera strap holder on the camera.
    It dangles well out of the way when the camera is in
    the shooting mode.

    irwell, Nov 26, 2005
  4. Foolish me...I've always just stuck 'em in my pocket.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 26, 2005
  5. Randy Given

    Randy Given Guest

    Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
    Yeah, sure, if you want lint buildup in the cap and then sticking on the
    lens. That's why I'm asking. ;)

    Randy Given, Nov 26, 2005
  6. I've never had that problem. Clean pockets?

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 26, 2005
  7. Randy Given

    Bill Funk Guest

    Don't you know about Life Savers?
    They are made specificaly to collect that lint.

    Bill Funk, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Randy Given

    Tesco News Guest

    Hi.

    Like R. Ainsworth, I always just take the cap off, sometimes it goes in a
    pocket, sometimes just thrown in the bottom of the bag.

    I hate to say this, but I will say it.

    I have always thought that people with lens cap keepers, and lens caps
    dangling from the camera look like Anoraks. Those in UK will know exactly
    what I mean, but for those in the USA sustitute Dorks for Anoraks.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Nov 27, 2005
  9. If I'm out in the field, I usually wear a Quest vest. The lens cap goes
    into whatever pocket the lens came out of. But it's either that or my
    pants pocket. I've never had a problem with lint or other cooties in
    almost 40 years of photography.

    And I have to agree with you about the cap dangling on some kind of
    string - DORK ALERT!

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 27, 2005
  10. Randy Given

    Randy Given Guest

    I agree. LOL. I'm sticking with in my pocket or bag. Still, thanks!

    Randy Given, Nov 27, 2005
  11. Randy Given

    irwell Guest

    So what do you with your car gas cap if it comes with
    a captive leash? Cut it off so you can kick it about the
    gas station forecourt picking up dirt etc., to contaminate
    your fuel, at the same time shouting 'Look at me, I'm not a dork'.
    And wearing a Qvest to boot!

    irwell, Nov 28, 2005
  12. Non sequitir. Try comparing two similar things next time.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 28, 2005
  13. Randy Given

    irwell Guest

    Non sequitur is the better spelling. Both gas caps and lens caps
    perform similar purposes, protection from destructive grit etc.
    So do you, as a non-dork remove the dongle from your gas cap?

    irwell, Nov 28, 2005
  14. No, I leave the strap attached. But I like to drive around with it
    dangling there. It looks cool.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 28, 2005
  15. Randy Given

    Stacey Guest

    Yea and those vests look so cool...

    Stacey, Nov 28, 2005
  16.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Nov 28, 2005
  17. Given the choice of using a camera bag or a vest...a vest is the better
    way to go. Or you could just put the camera in a never-ready case and
    hang it around your neck.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 28, 2005
  18. Randy Given

    George Kerby Guest

    Not to mention what it does for the soundtrack, next to the microphone and
    all...

    George Kerby, Nov 28, 2005
  19. Randy Given

    irwell Guest

    Especially the Saddam Hussein model.

    irwell, Nov 28, 2005
  20. Randy Given

    Bill Funk Guest

    Your gas tank has a microphone?
    Is that to capture your moans about gas prices as you fill up? :)

    Bill Funk, Nov 28, 2005