    (grin).

    Any help appreciated.

    Mark Edwards

    Mark Edwards, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Mark Edwards

    Jim Guest

    Not eyeglass cleaner. There are no coatings on eyeglasses. Instead, use
    the Kodak solution.
    Very gentle motions regardless of direction.
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 29, 2005

  3. I hope others read this as I just picked up a 3M lens cleaning cloth, which
    I have never tried before. It is a "microfiber" product. Not cheap ... $4
    for 7" x 6". Any one want to comment for my edification and for the OP?

    Charles Schuler, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Mark Edwards

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Then what is the multi coating on my Zeiss glasses? Eyeglasses are
    available with several types of coatings, both hard and soft coatings.

    Bob Salomon, Nov 29, 2005
  5. I use one for lenses and another of the camera's lcd screen. They are
    excellent. Also good for lcd monitors.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Thanks John.

    Charles Schuler, Nov 30, 2005
  7. Mark Edwards

    Charlie Self Guest

    I got one of these last Christmas, more or less by accident (someone
    else didn't want it). I have since bought at least a dozen more of
    different types. Super tiny fibers charged with static serve to pick up
    dust, finger oils, nose oils, and, for all I know, chicken gumbo.
    They're washable and best dried in a dryer, but WITHOUT the static
    cling sheets or sprays most people use. You want the static to retain
    efficiency.

    Currently, I'm using some orangish yellow ones I picked up at WalMart's
    auto department--they have at least three kinds, two of them too rough
    for photo use. I'm not dead sure, but I think they were around 5 bucks
    for three. I also have some darker red ones that are larger, a bit
    rougher (still smoother than silk), and perfect for detailing chrome
    and glass on cars before shooting. I've also got a gray Dust Off
    version that is beautifully hemstitch and so soft you can hardly tell
    you're holding it. That one costs considerably more, I think maybe
    $6.95 or so, give or take a buck.

    IMO, they're worth it. Almost permanent and exceptionally effective, so
    any extra cost is justified.

    Charlie Self, Nov 30, 2005
  8. Mark Edwards

    Jimmy Guest

    I use Formula MC and micro fiber cloth. In the field for a quick touchup, I
    use a LensPen. Use gently in a circular motion.

    Jimmy, Nov 30, 2005
  9. Mark Edwards

    Miles Guest

    My optician gave me several eyeglass cleaning clothes which are
    microfiber of some type -- to different kinds -- one is smoother than the
    other which is softer. He says he uses them to clean his camera lenses!
    Guess I still need to purchase some small plastic container of liquid
    to remove smudges, as opposed to rubbing hard to remove them.

    Miles

    Miles, Dec 2, 2005
  10. Mark Edwards

    Bob Salomon Guest

    No, first you need a good air blower to remove any particles of dust or
    grit from the lens. Then you need a good lens brush and a clean micro
    fiber cloth and then you need a good lens cleaning fluid.

    Blowing particles away with a blower like a Giotto Rocket will greatly
    eliminate the chance of scratching the lens or filter due to wiping sand
    or grit or dust.

    Bob Salomon, Dec 2, 2005
  11. Mark Edwards

    Miles Guest

    Forgot to mention that I do have a blower/brush combo that lives with my
    old Canon 1.2 SLR. So all I need is good lens cleaning fluid, so
    tomorrow will go to a camera store for their recommendation.

    Miles

    Miles, Dec 3, 2005